Is Broody ready to look after chicks?

Twiga

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 8, 2014
I think one of my hens has gone broody. She has hoarded three eggs ( not all her own) and has flattened herself out over them as if she is nesting. However - the eggs are infertile so she is wasting her time. In the mean time I have chicks of one week old who I have in a brood box in the house. Could she maybe use her motherly instincts to look after them for me in the hen house, rather than me keeping them in artificial conditions indoors? Would she or the other hens attack the chicks?

People do this successfully often, but like mot things chicken, it won't always work. It just depends how good her instincts are, and there is no way to know that ahead of time. You would probably have a better chance if they were a day or two old. If you want to try it, I'd suggest you remove the eggs and place the chicks under her just after good dark, so she has overnight to get accustomed to them. There is a chance she will attack or even kill them, understand.

The only time I tried and failed, the broody did not harm the chicks, she just chased them away, and I found them hiding in far corners of the coop, unharmed. They did fine after being returned to a brooder.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom