is bumblefoot a common problem in chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jmc, May 18, 2010.

1. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    i do ducks, but i was wondering about chx.
    i'd say 'yes, it is' but i'd like your input.
    i also know not everyone's experience is the same here............

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Yup. My fattie-bo-battie hens get it all the time. We have issues with stickers in the yard, so I am always digging something nasty out.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Mostly no.

4. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I live in the land of goat head stickers, and mesquite bushes and I've never had a case of bumblefoot.

5. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    It depends, large breed chickens will be more prone to Bubble foot than smaller lighter ones.
    But mostly yes and no I would say.

6. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    My bantams never get it---but keep in mind, I am in the desert, with cacti, and devil-thorn stickers. Just this morning I was pulling saguaro thorns out of the DH's patootie...

7. Xodrana

Xodrana Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2010
    Lol,Just how did dh get saguaro thorns stuck in his pattooty? I lived in Tucson and had to watch out for the "Jumping Choyas". Now there is a nasty plant. Just walking past it causes it to jump on you. Now i am back home in the N.W.

8. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    I bet he leaned down to pick something up, & stuck his bum right in there. He said he pulled them all out yesterday, but sure enough, DH had a case of bumblebutt.

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It is here on my place. Most of my birds are heavy breeds. Some individuals are very prone to it, like my very heavy RIR/Buff Orp hen, Meg, whose feet are shaped a bit odd and hit the ground at strange angles. She never gets over it. We live on a mtn with rocky ground, sharp sandstone shelves and prickly greenbriar vine (cow vine). Some of mine have never had it, some can't get over it no matter what I do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by