1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

is butternut squash ok to give to the girls?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by veronica2368, Oct 21, 2007.

1. veronica2368

veronica2368 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2007
    newville pa
    i have some butternut and some acorn squash and i was wondering if it iso k to give to the hens. if so ...do we need to cook it first? and are the seeds ok?
    thanks a bunch
    veronica

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You bet, raw or cooked, preferably unsalted. Mine won't touch it raw, but love it cooked.

3. annrich

annrich Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    Western NY
    Mine take the squash right out of the garden. They love the ones I didn't harvest. When I let them out to free range thats were they go first. Everyone is still healthy. So my advice is let 'em at it.

4. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I just threw my girls some acorn squash seeds today! I cooked them first for us and scooped the seeds out for them. The pumpkins I just break in half and lay them out raw and they eat all in insides. My daughter works at a feed store so I tell her to bring home the pumpkins that are broken etc. She just told me yesterday on her day off they threw out about 20 of them! I was :thun..... My chickens would have had a feast and they store well a good long time so I can give them some pumpkin throughout the winter.

5. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    I've never seen mine eat it raw, but they happily clean up whatever is left over from supper - anything in the squash family will do, but they really like spaghetti squash.

6. Zenbirder

Zenbirder Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    New Mexico
    There were a couple of immatures left in the garden when I turned the girls in .... they didn't last long. the rest are

MINE, ALL MINE, MINE I TELL YOU ALL MINE

perhaps to share with DH a bit but basically

MINE, ALL MINE![​IMG]

7. chickbea

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    [​IMG]
    You sound like me when the asparagus comes up in the spring!
    [​IMG]

8. Zenbirder

Zenbirder Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    New Mexico
    Quote:Asparagus? MINE all MINE [​IMG]
    I planted seed 4 years ago for a HUGE patch [​IMG]

9. chickbea

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Hee, hee!