Is BYC “hacked”?

Discussion in 'Website Announcements, Feedback, Issues, & Guides' started by Wee Timmy, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Wee Timmy

Wee Timmy Songster

Mar 30, 2017
    Texas
    Earlier today I was browsing BYC on my iPhone and in the middle of reading a thread I was redirected to a generic (obviously scam) “giveaway” page. When I returned to the site I was logged out and every time I try to log in again, I get redirected to the same page! My computer is doing the EXACT SAME THING when I try to log in from it. Is this happening to anyone else?

(Im typing this from my tablet, and I was already logged into BYC thank god)

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    This should be posted to staff.

3. Wee Timmy

Wee Timmy Songster

Mar 30, 2017
    Texas
    Where would I find staff... sorry I’m not great at navigating this site lol

4. I've had no problems with the site at all, but I can only speak for myself.

5. bonsaiherb

bonsaiherb In the Brooder

Mar 25, 2018
    Sequim, WA
    Not happening, nor happened to me. Your IP server, your Chrome or Internet browser or other things such as a virus from elsewhere might be the issue.
    Do a Malware check and check your Firewall and Defender programs.

6. Tesumph

Tesumph Songster

Jul 10, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Over the last week or so, byc has been random redirecting to a very scammy and obviously fake amazon giveaway site. I’m in safari on an iPhone and it ONLY happens on byc. I’ve looked the problem up and apple is adamantly saying it’s not a virus so I’m just confused. It interrupts me mid page or while typing and I have to reload the whole website. Earlier it got so bad I couldn’t stay on for more than 30 seconds so I gave up and installed the app (which, no offense, I don’t really prefer..) Now, knock on wood, I’ve been on here for 5 minutes and it hasn’t happened yet. Is this an iPhone problem or a byc problem? Has this ever happened to anyone else? It’s super annoying!

7. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    1. Are you on a computer, tablet, phone.
    2. If phone / mobile, which model? If computer, which operating system and version?
    3. Which browser and version are you using (eg., Chrome 58.0.3029, Firefox 3.5.9, Internet Explorer 8, etc.)
    4. Have you deleted your internet cache / browser history of files and tried again?
    5. Have you tried a different browser?
    6. What EXACTLY did you do? Document the steps you took before having the problem.
    7. Copy/Paste the exact error. Could you also get a screenshot?

8. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    1. Are you on a computer, tablet, phone.
    2. If phone / mobile, which model? If computer, which operating system and version?
    3. Which browser and version are you using (eg., Chrome 58.0.3029, Firefox 3.5.9, Internet Explorer 8, etc.)
    4. Have you deleted your internet cache / browser history of files and tried again?
    5. Have you tried a different browser?
    6. What EXACTLY did you do? Document the steps you took before having the problem.
    7. Copy/Paste the exact error if possible or take a screenshot please.

ButtonquailGirl14 likes this.
  9. Tesumph

Tesumph Songster

Jul 10, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    On an iPhone 6s. Using safari, although immediately after posting it happened three times in a row so I’m on the app now, which has its own very annoying problem of constantly refreshing and removing the keyboard while I’m typing.
    I tried deleting all data, history, and cookies. Also reset my phone. Had no effect.
    I have tried the app but yea, it’s almost as annoying as the redirect. :/
    I didn’t do anything to instigate it that I can think of. Byc is the only website I frequently visit, the rest is just google surfing as you do... it just started happening out of nowhere. It’s the same amazon spinning wheel every time, and it’s one of those things where you can’t press the back arrow. F1D598D3-68CB-493B-86C9-B8A36F4B7B48.png I did google this and apparently it happens to other people on other websites. But what I read said it was a “virus” in the website and not the phone. Sounds like a copout by apple to be honest, but I don’t know what else to do but ask here.

10. nminusyplusm

nminusyplusm Crowing

Mar 29, 2017
    Deming, NM
    I haven't experienced it here but it's become pervasive across the internet:

"What enables these ad redirects to haunt virtually any browser or app at any time, rather than just the sketchy backwaters in which they used to roam? Third-party ad servers that either don't vet ad submissions properly for the JavaScript components that could cause redirects, or get duped by innocent-looking ads that hide their sketchy code.

'These popups are not a new tactic, I've seen them around for at least six to nine months minimum. But people have started talking about it, which I think is a very good thing, because it's a problem,' says Crane Hassold, a threat intelligence manager at PhishLabs, who previously worked as a digital behavior analyst for the FBI. 'Redirecting ads can do different types of things—some of them are just a nuisance, but we’ve also seen redirecting ads in the past that have dropped malware on people’s machines. You’re going to see evolution and adaptation on the threat actor side.'

An ad hijacking your browser like that isn't technically a hack, in the sense that it doesn't exploit a software vulnerability. Instead, it relies on the attacker's ability to submit and run ads that contain redirecting JavaScript. But though they aren't a critical threat to web users yet, redirecting mobile ads could create a jumping off point for attackers. And since you encounter the redirects while browsing on even prominent, legitimate sites, there's nowhere to hide. Sometimes the ads are even designed to block your "Back" button, or keep redirecting when you try to close them, making it difficult to escape without having to restart the browser.

'I do think it's new that the ads are so pervasive and are on first-tier publishers," says Anil Dash, CEO of the software engineering firm Fog Creek. "These things used to be relegated to garbage sites, now it's happening on the New York Times.'"

https://www.wired.com/story/pop-up-mobile-ads-surge-as-sites-scramble-to-stop-them/

ETA: I usually don't get these redirects when I use my 3 different adblockers at once. I wish they were also available for iphone but they're not so the best solution I've found on mobile so far is using the browser, Ghostery for ios.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by