Is cat litter suitable for ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Sadiew, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Sadiew

Sadiew Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Spain
    Hi I am rearing two baby ducklings at home until they are old enough to go in outside run but finding straw in box is hard to clean out without totally emptying it out completely at least twice a day and wondered if I could use cat litter as I have a lot of that for my cat and could scoop that out easier, what do you guys think?

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    No, they will eat it and it can ball up inside them and cause lots of problems. I would use pine shavings.

3. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    I used towels until they were old enough to move out into their duck house on the deck from the large wire dog kennel I had sitting up on the patio.
    1 towel would do the day for about 1.5-2 weeks. Then I found they needed a new towel in the morning. I would put them on the deck during the day, otherwise they'd have need 2-3 towels a day.

4. Sadiew

May 15, 2011
    Spain
    Thank you both for replies, I did use towels but they were going through them too quick, hence straw but will try and get shavings instead and try that.. thanks again.

5. DuckiesAndBees

DuckiesAndBees Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    I go to a thrift store by my house that sells big bags of fabric for $2 a bag. I use this as bedding in a plastic kiddie pool for my brooder. It works well and I just throw away the fabric when it gets messy.

6. Sadiew

May 15, 2011
    Spain
    Thats a great idea DuckiesAndBees and you made me laugh about your boyfriend [​IMG]

7. DuckiesAndBees

DuckiesAndBees Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Quote:Yeah, you know a guy loves you when he changes the water in the duck pool on his day off [​IMG]
    I just got 2 more ducklings and he asked if they would be his friends because with 5 ducks and 3 beehives we aren't going to have time for real friends... [​IMG]

8. tgperg

tgperg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Oklahoma City
    Quote:Yeah, you know a guy loves you when he changes the water in the duck pool on his day off [​IMG]
    I just got 2 more ducklings and he asked if they would be his friends because with 5 ducks and 3 beehives we aren't going to have time for real friends... [​IMG]

LOL! That's hilarious!!!! We don't have time for real friends either. I'm a hive behind you unless I end up doing a split on my top bar this weekend! [​IMG]

Traci

9. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    I use puppy pee-pads. They come in a 4 pack at the Dollar Tree.

10. DuckyMom

DuckyMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Upstate NY
    I like using hay. It is less absorbant than straw but ducklings need thier brooders changed so often that it hardly makes a diffrence. Once they move outside to the big pens I use hay. It definatley smells nicer and it is a bit finer. (It just looks more comfortable.[​IMG])
    For a while I put down woven rugs that I found on clearence for 99 cents a peice. I bought ten and would hose down the dirty ones and hang them to dry.
    I use the hay now because its just much easier to clean up, especially during the winter and on rainy days.

Emily

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by