is catfood bad for poultry?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Agdketo, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Agdketo

Agdketo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2009
    Aledo, Illinois
    When we feed the cats, we have to put up the chickens, ducks and geese because they eat it and drive the cats away. Just thought I would get some opinions on this matter.

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I think catfood has too much salt for poultry

3. deserthotwings

deserthotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Queen Creek AZ
    Cat food is way too high in protein for any type of poultry. I would keep your birds away from it.

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    If i ever have any extra cat food around.. my chickens get it. They're fine... no isues at all.
    But they dont get it very often at all.
    I wouldnt feed them it every day...

5. Jobele

Jobele Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Texas
    I've been throwing a few handfuls of cat food to my chickens sometimes. I don't feed it all the time, but I definitely use it during molting! It helps to bring their feathers back in really fast and they are so shiny! During molting I will throw a handful or two out on the ground for the whole flock to go after.[​IMG]

6. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    The idea of giving poultry cat food grosses me out. lol I've heard that people do it but it never occurred to me to try it. My hens are fed an 18% protein vegetarian diet along with what they forage on pasture and they always have access to oyster shells. The eggs are amazing. I can't imagine eating an egg from a cat food-fed hen. Personally, I'd keep the cat food away from the chickens.

7. ChickenFamilyof5

ChickenFamilyof5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2009
    Meaford
    Cat food is fine for yor birds.......Woldn't feed it to them as a sole ration, but like somone above stated it sure helps them pull through the molt with the extra protien.

8. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Ohio
    Cat food is mainly Grain anyway with some fish or meat poduct.
    Chickens are omnivores they eat plant and animal.It wont hurt them I feed as a treat.
    My goats used to eat the dogfood -its mainly corn and wheat and people wonder why.

9. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Cat food is a good way to get extra protein into the diet during a molt. Since chickens are naturally omniverous adding cat food to the diet makes much more sense than feeding a vegitarian diet.
    Cat food is also useful for cage training birds for show.

10. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    We have used cat food in moderation as a protein supplement for years when hens are molting and just every now and then with scratch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by