Is cedar shavings OK ?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Youngfamily1989, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Youngfamily1989

Youngfamily1989 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2007
    Tennessee City
    The store was out of pine so my wife picked up cedar shavings. It smells better. Have any of you ever had any problems with cedar ?

Brian

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You should not sure cedar exclusively, especially with young chicks. It causes respiratory problems. I do, however, from time to time mix it 20% or so in with my pine shavings under the roost area, but I have no really young birds and there's plenty of ventilation.

3. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Correct me if wrong but thought you should use some cedar in nestboxes to scare away mites/bugs [​IMG]

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I do that as well, when I remember to buy some cedar, but just a couple of handfuls underneath the straw in the nests. Adults are not that affected by cedar in small amts, but you shouldn't use it as the bulk of the shavings in the coop.

5. NewGuineaChooks

NewGuineaChooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    San Antonio, Texas
    Cedar in small enclosed spaces can overwhelm small animals, and cause serious breathing difficulties. I had a brand new pet guinea pig die from cedar shavings, before I found out about that. So, I'd suggest not using it exclusively, and/or not using it in an area where the birds can not escape from it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by