Is chick being rejected?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PepperNSalt, Dec 20, 2012.

1. PepperNSalt

PepperNSalt New Egg

Dec 20, 2012
    I'm new to chickens, but have been lurking on this board for a couple months. [​IMG] Nice to 'meet' you all. I have a question for you...

I was given a mixed breed broody hen three weeks ago. Two days ago, 4x chicks hatched. The fifth was a late hatcher...it peeped, but the hen went off the nest and the egg went cold, and it stopped peeping and moving by yesterday evening. I put a bit of water over the hole, and the little beak took it. I know you shouldn't do it, but I helped it out of the egg...the membrane was totally dry, and the chick looked healthy, and is actually bigger than the others. It seemed fine, so I warmed it up and I put it back under the hen at night (less than an hour after helping), and she accepted it.

This morning, all 5x chicks were under the mom and doing fine. But...this afternoon the one I helped was outside in the run alone when the others were in the house with Mom. After 15 minutes, it hadn't found it's way inside, so I picked it up and put it back in. It went under the hen on it's own.

Two hours later, I checked and it's outside in the run alone again. This time, it found its own way back inside. Do you think the hen is tossing it out?

I'm in New Zealand, and it's summer here. The temps are high, but I don't have a brooder set up. If this chick keeps getting put out of the house, should I put it back in with the rest for the night, or should I take it inside and try to brooder it?

Thanks!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Late hatchers are generally somewhat weaker than their siblings. It may be that the hen is going out with all the chicks, and the late hatch is having trouble getting back inside. Can you lock her in the house for a couple of days or just let her out while you are there to help?

3. PepperNSalt

PepperNSalt New Egg

Dec 20, 2012
    I think you are right, since it looks like they dirtied the drinking water and moved the feed around in the run. I can keep them in the hen house when we're not around, especially since they seem to like being in there.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    In my experience such chicks catch up in 2 or 3 days. Good luck with this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by