Is chicken wire ok for portable tractor?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by tiffu22, Aug 10, 2013.

1. tiffu22

tiffu22 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2013
    I'm trying to build a portable tractor just to get chickens out of run when we are home. I'm using chicken wire but DH says it need to be covered in hard-wire. We don't have much money so I'm trying to do it the cheapest way. The chickens will only be in it when we are home and can somewhat watch them.

2. If you have to purchase the chicken wire, you will find it isn't that much cheaper than 1/2'' hardware cloth. You make the call. Chicken wire will work but the cloth is better.

If you already have chicken wire I would use the chicken wire. But if I had to purchase it, I would buy the hardware cloth.

Wish ya the best.

1 person likes this.
  3. tiffu22

Apr 10, 2013
    Bump

4. Angelak

Angelak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2013
    Macon county,tn
    Hardwire cloth holds up longer n is safer for chickens especially babies.i have some tractors with ckn wire n some with hardwire,the ckn wire is always needing checked for repairs due to goats,dogs,etc or just age.hardwire cost little more but less work n safer long lasting in my experience n I have total of 12 tractors now.

5. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    If you have to buy the wire, don't waste the money on chicken wire If you already have the chicken wire and money is really tight use it, just never forget about its limitations.

6. tiffu22

Apr 10, 2013
    Thanks

7. LoneOak

LoneOak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2013
    West of Atlanta
    I'm in the same boat as you and don't have much money right now so I'm covering my tractor with 1" chicken wire. I have a small roll of left over 2 x4 welded fence wire that I am going to cover the bottom with, there's not enough to do the entire bottom so I'm going to leave a place in the middle with no wire where they can dig a hole and dust themselves if they so desire. I don't have a bad predator problem at all so I'm not worried about that.

8. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    No. Too many predators can take advantage of it. Wishing you good luck you are going to need it. Domestic dogs are predators as well.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by