Is Chow Chow German Shepherd mix make a good guardian dog?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Farmerboy16, Sep 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Farmerboy16

Farmerboy16 Rebuilding my Farm

Dec 30, 2010
    Sparta, MI
    My parents are thinking getting a chow chow german shepherd mix to guard our place, and I am wondering are they good with poultry?Thanks for any info. This is our first time ever to have a dog. The puppy is 4 months old.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  2. carolinagirl58

carolinagirl58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Lugoff, SC
    That is probably a bad mix for a poultry guard and honestly not a good dog at all for an inexperienced dog owner.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Quote:X 10

4. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas

Totally agree.
    You want a largedog get a Great pyrenees
    [​IMG]

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

A chow or chow mix? Nope. A Chow is one of the least intelligent dogs on the planet. It always makes the list of the Ten Least Intelligent.

6. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN

Even experienced dog owners can have trouble with chows and chow mixes.

7. KDailey

KDailey Crazy Cochin Lady

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    I've heard Chows can be a tad on the aggressive side at times too. This doesn't apply to all obviously. And German Shepherds do have some herding instincts hence the "shepherd" part of their name. Most dogs with a shepherd or collie or other herding breed background as well as any dogs with breeds in their background that are primarily hunting dogs, usually don't do good with chickens and ducks, etc.

8. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Quote:That is SO not true. They think different, learn different and react different that the supposed "intelligent" dogs like Border Collies, etc. My Chows are far better at problem solving and those sorts of 'intelligence' that my Border Collie and Goldens. They also are born housebroken & aren't diggers or chewers.
    Chows don't live to please people, they live to please ONE person-their owner.
    And no, they're seldom if ever good around squealing running birds.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2011
  9. KDailey

KDailey Crazy Cochin Lady

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    I've seen PLENTY of people and stories about people training their borders and other high herding instinct breeds to leave their poultry alone and they do great or even channel that energy into helping with the birds instead of hurting them.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2011
  10. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    i suggest good liability insurance for that mix.. German Shepard alone.. yes.. wonderful breed. and a herding breed by nature, if you let it feel its natural desire to work and train, a very good guardian ... chow chow.. not suggested pure or mixed..

good luck ..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by