Is CJ a Girl or a Boy?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by speckledhen, Sep 7, 2008.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

She/he is very dark blue. The legs are not particularly thick. I have thought CJ was a pullet till recently, but at about 9 weeks old now, she has a very red pea comb, however, no wattles to speak of. Being a cross, not sure if she'd ever have large wattles, though. She's a sweetheart and I'd like to know if I can dream of keeping her or if I have to sell another cockerel.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    looks like a girl

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'd say the jury is still out. Could be a roo.

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I guess I'd lean towards roo with a comb that red at 9 weeks. I'll keep my fingers crossed tho that I"m wrong.

5. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Quote:Have to agree. [​IMG] for girl, though...

6. speckledhen

Quote:Kind of what I figured. The thin legs threw me off, but since the mama was a bantam, that could be the reason CJ looks not so manly, except for the comb. I've had several chicks this year of different breeds with confusing signals, even some pullets with early reddening combs, but not quite as red as CJ's. Crud. CJ is very friendly and sweet and just really pretty-pics dont do her/him justice.

7. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

She has nice feathers...what do they say? I can't see any saddle feathers in the picture....

8. speckledhen

Might be a bit early to see the saddle feathers. I tried to look under the top feathers, but she was squirming too much, LOL.

9. nhnanna

nhnanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    The chicken coop
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I think pretty girl [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. beefy

beefy Flamingo Daddy-o

Apr 21, 2007
    South Georgia
    i think shes a girl. zelda had a much larger and very red comb growing up too. i was scared she was going to be a rooster but then she laid an egg when she turned 4 mos. so that was nice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by