Is Cleopatra an Auracana or a mix?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Joliet, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Joliet

Joliet Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2013
    Louisiana
    She has green legs and small tufts like auracana butt she has butt feathers. I bought her as a chick from a feed store. Also she is not laying yet and is at least 7 mths old. Could something be wrong?[​IMG]

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

She is an Easter Egger, a mutt breed of chicken that has the blue egg gene. Araucanas in the US should be rumpless (basically saying that their tails are absent)and have ear tufts. 3 months is where most hens are in the point of laying, but some do take longer, good luck on the wait. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  3. Veer67

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  4. Joliet

Oct 15, 2013
    Louisiana
    Oh wow 30mths? Good thing she's smart and has a wonderful disposition lol. Thank y'all. The links were a little confusing but very interesting!

5. Veer67

Oh oops, that was a typo I meant 20-28 or more weeks of age. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Cleopatra is a pretty Easter Egger, which is a crossbreed that lays colored eggs, has greenish legs, and often has muffs, a beard, and a pea comb. EEs can be any color, though Cleopatra's color (at least in my experience) is most common. The true Ameraucana has bluish legs, a pea comb, always has muffs/beard, and is one of the 8 color varieties recognized by the American Poultry Association. Many hatcheries/dealers mistakenly call any bird that lays a blue-green egg an Ameraucana.

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree, she's a pretty Easter Egger!

8. Joliet

Oct 15, 2013
    Louisiana
    So from what I have experienced so far and have been reading. ..if I decide to get a pure breed (my daughter is interested in showing)... don't buy from hatcherys? My daughter is ten. How would I get her started in showing?

9. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    If you'd like a good representation of the breed for showing I wouldnt avoid hatcheries. If you just want backyard chicken and eggs hatcheries are great. If you're looking for Araucana or Ameraucana you cannot get those from hatcheries, you'll need to find a reputable breeder

10. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    and p.s. as far as her not laying let, some hens can take a little longer. No chicken lays at 3 months old. (That's a 12 wk old chicken!) If yours is 7 months she should be laying very soon, just give her some time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by