Is clutch ruined??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Hooterville, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Hooterville

Hooterville Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 2 of my little redneck hens isolated in my doghouse--both sitting on clutches. (is that the right term?)
    Anyway, the one hen started setting in the coop and on the second day I noticed she was sitting I moved her to the doghouse. I took her 4 accumulated eggs and added 2 more fresh ones. That same day I found one of my little rednecks sitting on a clutch in my flower bed. I knew she "flew the coop" each day, but thought she was returning each night to the coop because that was her habit. I hadn't kept a good eye on her so I'm not sure when she actually started "setting". [​IMG]

I went ahead and moved her and her clutch to the doghouse, too. (it's a fairly large doghouse).
    I put up fence around it and they've been setting now for 21 days. (today is 21).
    They've come out to eat and poo and have been setting very well like they should. I haven't bothered them much except to say hi until today. I noticed that they're were some flies around that I hadn't seen before so I shifted the one momma to see what was up. I found 1 of the eggs had been broken at some time. [​IMG] Was gooey, but no chick. I cleaned it up and left her alone--the other eggs didn't appear icky or like anything was happening.

So after all of that--my question is--are the other eggs contaminated? Do I have any hopes of seeing babies?
    The one little momma is my avatar. She's sitting so pretty--I hope she has success!
    Thanks for any advice you may have!
    Becky

2. kellim

kellim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    I had this happen to some of my eggs, one got busted and some of the others had goo on them, not all though. I had one hatch out, one of the others got bacteria in it that actually looked like it had "eaten" through the membrane and made a hole in it though the shell looked intact, and at day 22 I candled and noticed a baby in there though no movement at all. I decided to open up the air sac, then the membrane and there was the little perfectly formed baby but it had died. One of the other babies did live and is a week old. It was very healthy and still is. Alas, then the 3rd and final egg, the baby was dead in egg too. I can only assume from bacteria. There was a light tan quarter size spot on the membrane, though i am not sure what that means either.

I sincerely hope your babies pull through as my one little one did. I had to take them from the hen because of a opossum getting in cage and eating all but those 3. I wish you the best, please let us know what happens...

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    My broody hatched eggs on day 22 and 24. She had a weeping gross egg that stank to high heaven too. I say give them a few more days and if you don't see any chicks you can candle them and see what is going on. If the eggs are clear or not developed for hatch end the brood and set the hens off the nest.

4. Hooterville

Thanks for the good wishes, Kelli--I'll post back what happens with these 2 lovelies.

5. Hooterville

Thanks for the tips MPrissy. I was thinking that if nothing happens by this weekend, I'll remove the girls back to the coop. I hope it won't upset them too much. [​IMG]

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    They might be upset for a day or two but don't worry about it. After 21+ days of brooding they need to start eating normally. Brooding causes them to loose weight. By putting them back with the flock you are doing what is best for the bird as a whole. Their emotional welfare won't suffer. I promise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by