Is commercial feed THAT bad?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AKnewbie, Nov 2, 2012.

1. AKnewbie

AKnewbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    My ducks would rather go out and forage on this windy day, dead leaves, frozen ground and all.
    They are on Flock Raiser, eat all you can buffet inside their run. Am I missing something here?

2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Mine do similar but they still end up clearing out the feed, honestly, i'd rather they forage.. soon there will be nothing and the feed will be through the roof.

3. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    Foraging is what they do instinctively. Mine hit the feed first thing in the morning when they're really hungry, and ocassionally during the day, but they'd rather forage given the chance. There certainly would be more variety foraging.

4. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    we cant feed FR here, no one will eat it. They go off feed almost completely and look awful in body weight and feather both. Free ranging, mazuri waterfowl and LOTS of whole grains.

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    There is nothing wrong with their feed, but compared to what they find laying around it is kind of like eating dry cereal all the time, while foraging is more like eggs and bacon.

6. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    LOL now there is a comparison! [​IMG]

7. ChristineR

ChristineR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    WA state
    I think of commercial feed as "insurance." That way I know they are getting the vitamins and minerals they need and whatever they catch or dig up themselves is an added bonus of good stuff.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by