is Congestion Brocitus? Is Brocitus contagiouse?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bedste, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Bedste

Bedste Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    4 year old bantam hen sounds congested ...... for weeks and then fine and then sounds congested again. no blood or trauma... nothing happened.... Bird eats laying pellets and hen scratch and grass and bugs.. and drinks water just fine... i use pine shavings but I was trying to use the layer methode so maybe I should give it up incase that is the problem.

2. Bedste

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    should I worry if some of my birds sound a little rattly occasionally?

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    You may have some sort of a low grade respiratory condition going through your flock. If birds become seriously ill or die, go to an avian pathologist for diagnosis. As long as they are eating, laying, and acting normally it may not be a serious problem. That being said, respiratory problems in birds of any sort always concern me.

4. Bedste

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    I used too much DE once or twice and caused a few birds to start breathing funny. I can still hear some of them breathing. Should I vaccinate against broncitus....? Please help.

5. honeydoll

honeydoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Stark County, NE Ohio
    I did the same thing with DE, and mine sneezed and sounded gunky for two weeks. DE in large amounts I have read somewhere can cause respitaory problems in humans and chickens. Need to use in moderation, as I am sure you know now. Mine got better, could this be a seperate thing? Is it still close to the time you used too much DE? If not maybe a virus.

6. honeydoll

Jul 14, 2009
    Stark County, NE Ohio
    Quote:Hmmm...if it is an on again off again thing it could be something in the bedding? Maybe stop DE for two weeks or add shavings w/o DE and see if they improve. Just throwing out ideas. I would think with the on again off again problem and it never getting serious that it is exposure to something. Others have had chickens much longer and hopefully will chime in soon.

7. Bedste

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    ok....... thank you guys..... That helpls. I will cut out the DE for a spell. All of this rough breathing has me a bit rattled..... Do you know anything about the Bronchitis Vaccine that you put in the water?

8. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    You don't want to have your birds breathing the DE. They are very sensitive to airborne irritants. DE is very irritating to breath in- neither the chickens or you should breath it in. Especially if you are using the pool product. What kind do you have?
    If you are trying to do a deep litter method- give a good sniff in the coop- does it smell? Does it smell like urea (ammonia)? That alone can cause the chickens to cough and wheeze. Deep litter needs to be done well, or you just end up with fermenting badness and ammonia fumes.

You could have mycoplasma (CRD), gapeworm, or a whole host of respiratory issues- but I would first stop the DE overdosing & get some good air circulation going in the coop, get out the deep litter unless you are confident that you do not have any excessive ammonia build up- and see if your problem goes away.

I would not vaccinate for anything unless you have a high suspicion that the disease is a threat. The IB vaccine is tricky- there is more than one kind, last I heard. One is good- I think it is the killed virus, and most create carriers that are themselves protected- but are carriers and can cause illness in unvaccinated birds.

9. honeydoll

Jul 14, 2009
    Stark County, NE Ohio
    I don't know about the bronchitis vaccine, but when using DE I wait till mine are free ranging and I put it on with a shaker. I use one of those plastic planters with little hole on the bottom and shake it on top of the wood shavings, then I also use agricultural lime (NOT HYDRATED). You have to use food grade DE and not pool DE as that is toxic to your birds. By the time my chickens come back in from free ranging it's all settled. Now, if you smell that strong ammonia smell, you need to add a bit more of something. Mine smelled until I used the lime, DE alone just didn't cut it. A bonus with the lime is if you buy certain kinds some give the chickens calcium and so when they peck at it it's actually good for them. Again, in moderation. First I would stop DE and see if they improve. If they do then I would add just enough to get a dusting on top, when they are either free ranging or locked out of the coop in the run. I wear cheap paper mask as well, my husband has asthma an simply cannot tolerate breathing in the dust. One time the wind blew as I sprinkled it and he got a wiff and he coughed for two weeks as well and needed breathing treatments. Lots of people don't wear masks when they use it, as long as you are not creating a dust cloud, but it still has a hazard. You can get something called silicosis, pretty serious. So a light dusting is recommended. Maybe go with lime for a sppell and see if they are ok with that. If you birds get mucuosy, them it's time to look into virus/bacteria. With gape worm, they will gape their mouth, mine kind opened their mouth wide and put their head up like something was stuck in their throat and they were trying to swallow. In this case use Ivermectin Pour On for cattle, I did and it worked like a charm. I have heard you can look down their throat and see the worms sometimes (I tried this with no luck). I've have also read on here that you can take a Q tip, swap the wind pipe and if it comes out pinkinsh it's gaperworm ( not sure of the validity of this just read it once). Hope this helps, first I would discontinue DE, I really think that is your problem. When you "stir" your shavings there shouldn't be a huge dust cloud created, if that 's happening for you I bet your right on with too much DE.

10. Bedste

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    I feel so stupid...... auuuggghhh.. My chickens have been walking around with their mouths opens for weeks.... before I noticed the ones that sound rattly and stuff..... It sounds like gapeworm. I found one girl dead already so I need to find out what to do quickly. The mouths being open like they can not breath I THOUGHT was because of the HEAT.... but if you combine that with them stretching their throats out and wheezing..... OMG

What can I do? If I find a treatment will I still be able to incubate the eggs.. I know not to eat them... Suggestions>?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by