Is corn healthy for chickens (I recently learned it causes cows terrible stomach aches)

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Mtnmomma3, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Mtnmomma3

Mtnmomma3 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2013
    I recently learned that cows should not eat corn, it can literally turn their insides out-- awful stuff! Commercial feed lots use it because it add fat to the meat in a hurry.

Are there things that can hurt chickens but we don't think about it because it is convenient to their human caregivers and commercial farmers?

2. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    I believe that chickens will not eat anything that is bad for them, if they have free choice and variety. My chickens forage daily. I have plants that are poisonous to chickens. The chickens never pay them any attention. They focus on all the other plants and such that they can eat.

That said, giving them a lot of something they relish can cause problems. For example, they like black oil sunflower seeds. I imagine that they would gorge themselves on this high fat, high protein item, if the supply were unbridled.

As with most creatures, chickens need a nutritious, balanced diet. I would not be inclined to feed my chickens a diet too high in kernel corn. Of course, I don't have access to loose corn. I am not prone to experiment with their diet.

Can they safely eat corn? Certainly. They eat nearly everything that they can grab. I feel confident that many raise chickens on a variety of diets, based upon their experiences.

Chris

3. LoneOak

LoneOak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2013
    West of Atlanta
    I really wonder about who told you that cows can't eat corn! Farmers have been feeding corn in one form or another to cows for years and years along with hay and other forage products. I think you might need to recheck you source of information.

And yes Chickens can eat corn with no ill affects.

4. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Cows are not made to eat corn. Farmers feed cows all kind of waste also, but that doesn't mean they are meant to eat it. Chickens are Ok with corn.

5. cinch920

cinch920 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2013
    Central Nebraska
    Cows can eat corn. It's eating too much of it that can be bad for any animal.

6. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    my dog eats purina chow but makes a mess. long jowls so chow all over.Can i sweep that up and feed it to my chickens?Or is it bad for them.First ingredient is corn

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  7. Mtnmomma3

Mtnmomma3 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2013
    I originally heard about cows having trouble with corn in the book "The Omnivore's Dilemma." A local farmer told me he never feeds his cows corn-- all grass and hay all the time-- for that same reason.

1 person likes this.
  8. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  9. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

It's actually probably better for your chickens then for your dog. Some dry pet foods have more sodium then is healthy for birds but as long as it's not the main part of their diet a few pieces here and there aren't going to hurt them.

10. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    good to know a handful twice a day adds up

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by