is corn or purina more healthy

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by LittleChickenGirl2011, Oct 17, 2011.

1. LittleChickenGirl2011

LittleChickenGirl2011 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2011
    I bought a fair bit of purina when it was on sale and the cheapest, but somebody told me it makes fat buildup around the heart and kill the chickens eventually... ive also heard that corn is the healthiest... sowhat one is healiest for these types of birds

1) hens that have about a month before they start laying
    2) roosters to be butchered in a month
    3) young pullets that have just been introduced to a new food that isnt medicated
    4) hens that are laying

also, can i feed the birds whole kernels, or must the be ground up... id like to grow corn for them if it is best, but i cannot think of a reasonable way to grind up the corn, but am unsure about giving them whole kernels.

much thanks!
    littlechickengirl 2011

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I'd rather feed Purina (we're talking henfeed right?) than just corn to any flock any day.

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Corn is generally thought to be more of a treat. The birds love it, but it's sort of like candy; it doesn't make for a good regular diet.

I feed mine Purina Layer Plus feed because it's easily available at my feed store where I get a senior discount on Tuesdays [​IMG] . They've been laying for a little over a year.

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Yep, too much corn adds a LOT of fat and can essentially kill the bird if that's all it has to eat.

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I would say that Purina is more healthy. Corn is a treat.

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Some told me this or someone told me that.

Be cautious about what "you hear". The advice given you was not correct. Read for yourself. There are quality, scientific, State University and Agriculture Extension guidelines all over the web for you to read. Most are written in plain english and easily understandable.

The Basics 101 page, here on BYC is also worth reading. Click on the "Learning Center" tab on the very top of this page.

The advice given by the BYC posters above was superior to what you heard.

7. Clay Mudd

Clay Mudd Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    South MS swamps
    Fred's Hens :

Some told me this or someone told me that.

Be cautious about what "you hear". The advice given you was not correct. Read for yourself. There are quality, scientific, State University and Agriculture Extension guidelines all over the web for you to read. Most are written in plain english and easily understandable.

The Basics 101 page, here on BYC is also worth reading. Click on the "Learning Center" tab on the very top of this page.

The advice given by the BYC posters above was superior to what you heard.

Good advice, and worth repeating.

At the risk of being old fashioned, I'll add that there are some pretty darned good books on raising chickens out there. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  8. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
  9. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    Corn is just as bad for chickens as it is for people.

That said, you can choose between organic soy- and corn-free feeds, or feed Purina or your local feed store's blend (Tractor Supply has a non-medicated chick started that I feed; they only carry medicated Purina).

Purina is a leading brand for a reason. Yes, it's more expensive than corn... but, like with people, enough exercise will prevent obesity or "fatness around the organs" in chickens. Let your girls out and they'll be just fine. Mine have been on Purina for 2.5 years and are going strong.

Edited to add: Purina has special nutrition blends for laying hens and chicks/pullets to make sure they get the correct ratios of nutrients to grow fast and healthy and lay good eggs with solid shells. They even have an "Omega 3" blend now. Any laying hens should be fed blends or you should have your own mixed at a mill to make sure they have the right ratios.

Roosters for slaughter I'd guess you can feed corn... but it will make fat, not muscle on the bird. Muscle mass depends on the breed.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  10. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    They need a good quality layer feed. Feed corn only as a treat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by