Is corrugated plastic that is on a greenhouse good to use for a roof?

plwebb

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 28, 2011
Oregon
My sister-in-law has a greenhouse that she no longer uses. She's decided to use the greenhouse for a chicken coop. She's making some alterations of course like replacing the corrugated plastic siding with wood. We're wondering if we can use the corrugated plastic roof that is on there now or should we put a regular roof on it? We thought that maybe it might be nice because it would let more light in. But on the other hand it might be hotter with that plastic roofing. We've had a cool summer so far but we're thinking more long term plus we still have the rest of July and August and September that can bring hot weather (90s and possibly low 100s).
Are there any other pros and/or cons to using the plastic roofing?

Thanks

Quote:
Well if it will draw the heat to the coop, then stay awy from it, because when it get hot chickens really get quickly sick from real hot weather.

It would be great for light but to hot.....I would take it off sheet the top with plywood and put it back on to shed the water.....depending on how big the coop is maybe cut a few holes in the plywood for a skylight ........will help with more natural light come winter time when cooped up....Just an Idea good luck

I'll add to the reasons to maybe not use it - especially alone. If you have predators like raccoons and possums in the area, it might not be a good idea. A neighbor of mine screwed that corrugated plastic down into the wood for the coop and used it as a roof. The raccoons just peeled it right up and jumped into the cop and killed all the girls except one. Maybe if you put plywood under it?

Back
Top Bottom