Is crooked neck from Wry Neck permanent?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cfs, Oct 16, 2013.

1. cfs

cfs Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2010
    Hi,

I need advice regarding my 11 month old hen. She had Wry Neck and I treated her with polyvisol and vitamin E with selenium and took to vet. Lab revealed she has coccidosis and mega worms. I wormed her and gave her Corrid. She is much better with head 90% up, but it it very crooked and her balance is therefore off. Today is last day to worm but I will continue with Corrid in her water. I am not sure if she is getting enough Corrid because the dosage is for 1 gallon of water and she is one chicken so how do I formulate that down to say four cups of water? Anyone know? Can people share if their older chickens's crooked neck went away with time or not? Thank you! I am concerned about putting her back in the coop and I have no other place for her! Thank you!

2. cfs

cfs Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2010
    Regarding Corrid dosing, I forgot this information from Kathy (Thanks Kathy, VERY helpful):

As for the Corid, the dose for powder is 1.5 teaspoons per gallon or 2 teaspoons per gallon for the liquid. If you're going to use a quart size waterer, just divide by four for the dose. Here is more Corid dosing info than you'll ever need, lol:
    -Kathy

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    wry neck or cook neck can be a symptom of other diseases such as Mareks disease which could affect balance. Sometimes it is a result of head injury or vitamin deficiency, and vitamins should always be given just in case, but not while on Corid for cocci..

4. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Western NY
    My Coop
    As mentioned, it depends on the reason for the wry neck. My wry neck bird did get better but it took months (about 5 months!) for her to have a normal posture and balance again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by