is crowing, or is it really a roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sherymaree, Oct 26, 2014.

1. sherymaree

sherymaree Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2013
    I have a beautiful red sex link that I thought was a hen but now she is crowing. Am I wrong? Here is her most recent pic. She is around 4 months old. [​IMG]

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Sorry, but that is not a Red Sex-Link, and is not a hen. He looks like an Oriental breed cross, probably with Shamo, Malay, or Aseel.

Very handsome bird!

1 person likes this.
  3. sherymaree

Aug 3, 2013
    Thank you. I put some pictures on here that weren't very good when he was younger. People thought he was a red sex link pullet. Now I have the problem of what to do. I am not allowed to have a roo where I live. I need to find him a good home.[​IMG]

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm sorry, but that is definitely a rooster. He looks like some sort of gamebird/oriental breed, not a Red Sex-link.

I hope you can find him a good home.

1 person likes this.
  5. torilovessmiles

torilovessmiles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2014
    Central West Virginia
    If it's due to the noise, you can try a no-crow collar. Some people have had a lot of success quieting their roosters with them.

If it works you may be able to keep him :)

1 person likes this.
  6. sherymaree

Aug 3, 2013
    Thank you for responding. I think I will keep him as long as possible. If there are no complaints I should be able to keep him. I only have him and a EE. I don't want to leave my EE without her partner. They stay very close to each other.

7. sherymaree

Aug 3, 2013
    Thanks for the info. on the collar. If I get complaints I will try that. It sure does sound funny!

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Agree on this, which makes rehoming him a mixed blessing.

On the one hand, in certain circles, you could probably easily get rid of him and get a decent price. Problem solved for you.

On the other hand, in those certain circles, he'll be used for illegal purposes we don't talk about here on byc.

9. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    X3

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by