Is Daisy an Ameraucana?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Jemma Rider, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Jemma Rider

Jemma Rider Songster

Nov 25, 2017
    Maryland
    I know easter eggers are often sold as ameraucanas, Daisy and Rosie were believed to be ameraucanas by their previous owner (i got my birds when she moved and couldn't keep them anymore), she also had two easter eggers. I know she got her birds from good breeders, she did a lot of research to make sure she got quality birds so I'm inclined to trust her, but I'm not sure. Ultimately i don't care much, i think she's a very beautiful bird but i don't want to say she's an ameraucana when she's not. In this picture her neck feathers were pulled out during a predator attack (she was otherwise unharmed), usually she sports a full black beard.
    IMG_20180426_151443.jpg

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Making Coffee

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Easter egger.

3. Brahma Chicken5000

Brahma Chicken5000 Araucana Addict

Sep 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Easter Egger.

4. MissChick@dee

[email protected] Crowing

Aug 18, 2017
    Caliente Nevada
    Sweet little Easter Egger:p

5. Jemma Rider

Jemma Rider Songster

Nov 25, 2017
    Maryland
    Oh okay, just wondering are there any particular traits she's missing? What exactly is an ameraucana, i would like to have one someday but don't want to end up with another EE, not that i mind i love them but I'd like a more mixed flock (if she's not an ameraucana i now have four EE's).

6. Brahma Chicken5000

Brahma Chicken5000 Araucana Addict

Sep 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    A true Ameraucana will have slate legs and a color variety associated with it. You will not find them at feed stores.

7. Jemma Rider

Jemma Rider Songster

Nov 25, 2017
    Maryland
    Okay thanks, i don't trust feed stores anyway.

8. Crazy for Chickens!

Crazy for Chickens! Free Ranging

Jun 9, 2017
    N.W. Missouri
    Easter Egger

Ameraucanas are always a certain color variety, and this is a good way to know if you are getting the true thing or not. If chicks/birds aren't labeled as a color variety, they are most likely EEs.

Also, they have blue/slate legs/feet. Never green or yellow. (typical of EEs)
    They have a pea comb, a beard, and muffs.
    They lay blue eggs only. (EEs can lay any color, though blue, green,and pink are more common.)

A good place to look for Ameraucans would be from a breeder. Or,look online. There are usually farms/breeders that ship chicks.

A few places are:
    White Mountains Ranch
    Chicken Fanatics
    Wild Acres
    Deer Run Farm

Whatever you do, don't buy from eBay! :)

9. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

I like EE... you already got good answer. :thumbsup

I will reiterate they will ALWAYS be sold under their color variety such as Lavender, black, wheaten, buff and so on. Though Lav may not be an accepted color in the APA and considered a project color still.

Some hatcheries DO have the real deal... maybe Cackle and MPC... but they are usually around $18, not the typical $3.

Check out this little article, it has a good basic difference description..
    https://the-chicken-chick.com/ameraucana-easter-egger-or-araucana/

The issue with breeder chicks... they are unsexed. Not a problem for me but will be for many. I don't like getting juvenile birds that have been to someones pasture to get pullets either... as even NPIP locations aren't required to report Marek's and there may be other parasites present like lice or mites. It just isn't worth the risk to me. If I do get chicks they must be verified incubator hatched and not have been under a broody.

Your EE gal looks just like my EE... so far one out of only two birds that have made "pet" status here. Hardy, confident, and quite the character! :love

10. Jemma Rider

Jemma Rider Songster

Nov 25, 2017
    Maryland
    Okay, forgive me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Daisy have those traits? In this picture her beard and muffs are missing, they were yanked out by a predator, but she has the blue legs and pea comb and beard and muff (i don't know of the camera picked up her legs, they're blue and my others have green legs), and she lays the most beautiful baby blue eggs. Again, forgive me if I'm wrong.
    Would My Pet Chicken a place that would have real ameraucanas? I'll be ordering from them next year since they offered me a free black sumatra chick, i know they offer different color varieties.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: