1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

*Is Daisy and Fred true to their names or should I switch it around???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sonew123, Apr 26, 2009.

1. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    ok I hope I have the right palce for this -I've posted this many times and don't really seem to have great photos-too early-etc..but now are my eyes telling me the truth on my 31 day old RIR-BO cross-one is Daisy-that now looks like a roo- and Fred looks like he should be a Daisy--can you tell me-the Father is a BO-with white legs and red/pinkish mix in them and the mothers coud be either a RIR pure or a BO pure-yellow/whitish legs-10 months old? these are photos of both of them can you tell the difference and if you can I just want to know if I have 2 roos or two pullets-or one of each-unfortunately I dont think I can switch names my kids know the diff-thats how our Father roo kept his name "Shelia"!!!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]-

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    heeerrroooo... [​IMG]

3. MikasGirl

MikasGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Coos Bay, OR
    The very last picture looks like there might be some saddle feathers poking out, but I am not sure. I think the last one is a roo.

4. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    I'd say the one with the larger and more red wattles is a roo. The first one didn't look super roo-ish to me. But, I am certainly no expert. I can tell you that one of my BO's started to get a little pink at the base of the comb around 5 or 6 weeks of age, but since then nothing has changed and there isn't much happening by way of wattle growth. But that is all I can offer by way of experience, sorry. This is my first year with BO's and I am still learning. OT: I had a springer spaniel named Sheila. I think it is a cute name for your roo - worthy of being a story character I think. [​IMG]

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    thank you-anyone else care to guess?

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Geez, they both look rooish to me.

7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    stop it!! [​IMG] [​IMG] -both rooish! ahh--I don't want to sell one or both-buit I will if this is the case :-( I hope within the next week or two I can really see the difference-I told my girls I would sell These 2 birds before I would butcher them-these were our first babies from our chickens!

8. pinkfeather

pinkfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    CT
    1st 1 looks like a pullet, 2nd 1 looks like a roo to me.

9. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    yeah!!! I was hoping for that answer!

10. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    My guess, and I am pretty good at it, if I do say so myself- [​IMG]

#1 pullet
    #2 roo