Is Daisy really Davy? PICS! EE chicks need gender opinion:-)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hens4thehudds, Aug 1, 2011.

1. hens4thehudds

hens4thehudds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    San Marcos, California
    I bought 3 Easter egger pullets from the feed store, however I was reading here online that the females are kind of plain, whereas the roosters have splashes of color on their neck wings and back. Also 3 rows of combs. These are only 4 weeks old, but the first 4 pictures show Daisy she is the first to have any comb and is very colorful compared to the other two, bigger, also with big thick legs... The others I think are probably pullets. It may be too soon to tell, but what the heck...Any help will be appreciated

Below is Daisy..or Davy..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Below is Cleo or...Leo..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Below is Petunia or Peter
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is a pick of all together
    Left to right is Petunia, Barred rock, Cleo, and Daisy...

[​IMG]
    Thanks

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  2. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    To young for me to tell. Maybe someone else can? He/She/It is a cutie though!!

3. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    EE's are so hard to sex, Daisy does have some pretty big legs, but I would give it more time- I had an EE hen with tree trunks for legs in my last flock, but she was definitely a girl. I do think your others are pullets though [​IMG]

4. callahanfarmgirl

callahanfarmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Callahan
    I am not as experienced as others, but in the 5 months I have been raising my EE I have learned they can trick even the most experienced!!! Mine were 10 to 12wks old before I knew %100 what I had. I also posted pics asking advice when they were around 6 to 8 weeks and almost everyone guessed one of my pullets as a roo. She now gives me a pretty green egg almost daily!!!

5. hens4thehudds

Jul 7, 2011
    San Marcos, California
    Thanks, I was just reading a thread here on BYC that was talking about how it is easy to sex the EE roos by their color, and after reading, I started thinking uh oh I think Daisy is a roo.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Daisey looks like a roo with those legs. I'm not sure he's an ee, either--straight comb, legs aren't green, color is unusual for ee that I've seen. The other two look like ee girls. I'd love to see pics of Daisy in a few weeks.

7. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

daisy's legs might mean roo or she could be a hold over from another order and a week older, time will tell, still a little young to tell.

8. hens4thehudds

Jul 7, 2011
    San Marcos, California
    Actually I bought her when she was exactly the same size as Cleo and Petunia, which is the second and third set of pictures. Petunia was actually bigger at the time when we purchaced them, but now Daisy is much bigger, has splashes of color etc. etc.. I guess time will tell:rolleyes:

9. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    my little roo had a pink comb by 2 weeks old give her time if it pink'ens up roo if not Daisy is a great name petunia looks like her name will fit just fine..

good luck
    Pink

10. hens4thehudds

Jul 7, 2011
    San Marcos, California
    I hope Daisy is a she...because "she" happens to be one of our friendliest birds...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by