is day 25 the last day for any unhatched chicken eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MrViskers, Oct 3, 2011.

1. MrViskers

MrViskers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Australia
    i know most chicken eggs hatch day 20 - 23 but if they dont hatch by day 25 do we dispose of the eggs and turn the power off to the incubator

2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Sad to say but yes. I do at 23. Its very discouraging also if you expect them all to hatch. When I buy eggs I never expect a lot, I'm ecstatic if I get 5/6 out of twelve, I always tell myself you only need a boy and girl and then am extra happy with the rest. Plus I really don't want a lot of chicks to care for in the winter. So whatever I get I'm happy.

3. mathesonfarm

mathesonfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2010
    New York
    you could always do the float test before throwing them out, if you want to be sure they are not alive. Get a bowl of water, 99* and wait for the water to stop rippling and settle down. After checking the eggs VERY carefully for pips, place them one or two at a time (I only do one at a time) and watch to see if it moves and makes the water ripple. If so, you know its still alive! Or, you could candle them to see if anything is going on in there. Personally, I candled them and if I wasnt 100% sure that they were died or duds, I floated them. I wanted to be so sure that I wasnt going to take live babies out and kill them. Good luck

4. MrViskers

MrViskers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Australia
    your advice seems to be good and i have a feeling only a few of the 16 eggs will hatch, I can't judge at this moment only time will tell.

5. mathesonfarm

mathesonfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2010
    New York
    keep us updated. What day are you on now?

6. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I have had a chick hatch on day 25. I had stopped adding water on the evening of day 23 and ment to clean the bator out on day 24 but got busy. On day 25, I pulled the electric plug, and was picking up eggs when I heard peeping. A quick candle showed the chick in the air cell. I filled the water and plugged the bator back in.

So make sure you candle before tossing, and I even tap the egg with my nail then hold it to my ear to "hear" if the chick answers me.

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:I have had this happen also but generally after day 25, I toss out any eggs left but I do tap and candle first.

8. Melissa77

Melissa77 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2013
    Maine
    LOVE THE STEP BY STEP HATCHING ASSISTANCE POST! Great info

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  9. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    No. You do not "help" it by manually pipping it if it's not due to hatch for a couple of days. The eggs will wiggle a day or more before hatching as the chick gets into position to hatch. If you try to get it to hatch before its time, you will kill it.

10. Bryam

Bryam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Yup, if you temp was consistent then the eggs that don't hatch should be thrown or eggtopsyied!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by