is day 27 too late for a chick to hatch and survive?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by daniellenoel, Apr 27, 2009.

1. daniellenoel

daniellenoel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Vail Colorado
    Hello.. please help. The last egg in the incubator started to pip on Saturday/Sunday. He still had not made it out today. SO this afternoon. I helped him out.. he is still in the bator and fluffing up and seems okay.
    The humidity did drop last night to 40% and then I added water and went back up to 69%... not sure if that is why he couldn't get out.
    This is the first time i have ever done this and did it with my 2nd grade class. I was just going to leave him and see what happened but it killed me to watch him breathing in there and not get out. ANy advice would be greatly appreciated. If anyone else has had this happen and has a success story please share.
    Thanks

2. shortcake1806

shortcake1806 Sassy McSassington

Sep 11, 2007
    Any thing is possible. Unfortunately my experiences with late hatchers hasn't been good. Give him lots of TLC and he may pull thru.

3. furley1229

furley1229 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2009
    pine grove,ca
    i had babies hatch at24 to 27 days.try cheeping at them.it sounds wierd but they fought hard to come out

4. furley1229

furley1229 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2009
    pine grove,ca
    my last chick was at 27 days and is great .strong and loves picking on other babies dont forget to give chicks vitamins mine love it and seems like they have alot of energy.

5. daniellenoel

daniellenoel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Vail Colorado
    tHANKS.... HE SEEMED TO IMPROVE THROUGHOUT THE DAY.. Just a little off balance on his legs a lot and falling backwards. but definately trying. He has not eaten or drank on his own.. just of water dropper with vitamins and yogurt through a syringe
    Any other suggestions.. Thanks for the words of encouragement.
    Keep you posted

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by