Is DE safe to use in the brooder?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by esjro, Apr 11, 2009.

1. esjro

esjro Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Stockton, NJ
    My babies are 2 and a half weeks old, and my husband says the brooder stinks even though I replaced all the wood shavings on Wednesday. [​IMG]

2. LovinMyPeeps

LovinMyPeeps Sees Wine Dots

Mar 22, 2009
    Heuvelton, NY
    Lot's of posts say sprinkling it lightly in the brooder under the shavings is fine but it is a MUST that it's Codex food grade DE not chemical grade so be careful when you pick it up. I got some an added it to mine and the babies (ranging from 3 days to 3 weeks) seem just fine!

3. esjro

esjro Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Stockton, NJ
    Wonderful, thank you! I use it outside for my older ladies, and it does seem to cut down on the smell a lot. I use the deep litter method outside so I stir it up in the shavings - should I not mix it for the babies?

4. LovinMyPeeps

LovinMyPeeps Sees Wine Dots

Mar 22, 2009
    Heuvelton, NY
    Honestly don't have that answer I was just told to add it underneath and haven't had problems. Can't see where it would be a problem, but make sure you remove them before you add it and allow it to settle a bit.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I've never used DE in the brooder myself and I really dont see a need to do so. I really do not recommend it on tiny chicks unless you actually have a mite infestation or something along those lines. If you scoop wet areas and sprinkle some fresh pine shavings daily, that should take care of most of the stink. And I've brooded chicks in the greatroom, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by