Is debeaking of dual-purpose chicks common?

PurpleGizmo

Chirping
13 Years
Jul 19, 2008
Enumclaw, WA
Hi there,

My family is planning to get a handful of dual-purpose, day-old pullets next spring and I do not want debeaked chicks. Is this common practice for "yard bird" chicks or easy to avoid?

On a related note, if anyone has suggestions for good breeders or feed stores to order chicks from in the King/Pierce County, WA area, I'm all ears!
smile.png

Thanks for your help!

No, it's not common practice for yard birds. The commercial operations debeak regularly so the crowded birds can't cause each other damage. Generally an owner won't have that problem.
Most of the commercial hatcheries will only debeak if you ask for it, and this is an extra charge. Some chicks come mutilated because of the debeaking. As with anything else, sometimes it's not a clean job.
sad.png
This is if you're ordering your chickens from a hatchery.
As for the feed stores selling chickens.... you may want to find a reputable store and then ask them to order a certain type of dual purpose bird for you. Be sure to tell them no debeaking. Some of their birds do arrive with the beak cut.

I have four pullets I ordered from My Pet Chicken. I was delighted with service, received what I ordered, and the chicks were healthy and noisy! My Barred Rock seems to be a perfect dual-purpose bird. She's gaining weight really well (heavier than the others) and is a good, calm chicken.

Carla

First off, thank you for the responses! It's reassuring to know that, for backyard purposes, debeaking is not considered the norm though some vigilance is still called for.

Quote:
I don't know who is reputable yet but I do have some opinions after asking two stores about baby chicks.
smile.png
One feed store said I could choose from whatever they ordered, end of story; the other said they do take special orders and seemed friendlier and more helpful.

Quote:
I've heard a number of good things about My Pet Chicken but am concerned that I may be too far from an airport to order four chicks. How much did it cost you to order your four?

Robert ~
My Pet Chicken is more expensive, but I was quite happy with everything. The express shipping was $15.50; the TLC package for orders less than 14 chicks, was $25. MPC includes some type of green gel for the chicks to eat, and they were packed really well. Straw bedding for warmth, in an appropriately sized very sturdy box.
You can contact the company and ask them about the shipping. I live in an urban area. If you're out in the boonies, they may not want to ship just a few chicks as it will take another day to arrive.

Carla

Back
Top Bottom