1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is diatomaceous earth (DE) good to use on pets?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by McGoo, Oct 24, 2007.

1. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

I was just wondering if DE would keep dogs and cats from getting worms. Is it possible to sprinkle in their food? Around their bedding? Has anyone had experience with this? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Quote:Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.

Food grade (Codex Grade Fossil Shell Flour) DE will help prevent worms, fleas, ticks, etc. I put it in my feed, brush it into their fur, sprinkle bedding and my barns with it.

Just remember CODEX Grade - food grade only.

[​IMG]

3. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

MissPrissy,
    Mine says Food Grade, but it doesn't say fossil shell. It's out in the rootcellar now so I don't have a photo....but I absolutely knew (from reading the posts) that it had to be food grade and it states it. I got it at the feed store.

So I could put a little around/on the cat who I'm concerned about, given that he's outside most of the time and is a great hunter. A chipmunk a day with a mole for evening snack. I'm sure they've got worms and so I suppose he does too? Well using DE won't hurt - great I'll use some.

thanks

4. ncgnance

ncgnance Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Iredell County, NC
    I am glad someone opened this thread and that now I can ask my question. I read that you can sprinkle DE on chicken feed. How much do you use??? And can I spray it in the coop?? Can I use it on my biddies??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by