1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is doing 'deed' cruel?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wannahavehens, Oct 29, 2008.

1. wannahavehens

wannahavehens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2008
    Hemlock, New York
    I'm trying to decide whether to keep my Black Australorp rooster or not. He is a real beauty and I do notice some good reasons to keep him, but his doing the deed seems so cruel to the pullets. They really struggle and make a racket! The other girls come running to -help?- or see what is going on. Do they ever get used to it? Will they eventually not mind it? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm new to this - a real city girl...

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

They do get used to it, but they will always fluff up and shake themselves out when the roo is finished.

3. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    Quote:Yep.

4. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I seriously would not be too concearned. It's all normal and to mother nature's plan. They will be fine.

5. wannahavehens

wannahavehens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2008
    Hemlock, New York
    Thank you for your replies. I suppose you are right - I shouldn't be concerned. I just want to have happy girls.

6. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    But remove him if the hens become wounded (cuts and blood). This can invite infection and weaken them. And then you can find yourself a roo who can behave better toward the hens while still achieving "the goal".

7. ChickenTender63

ChickenTender63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Alamance, NC
    how often do they have to do the deed, and how many eggs are fertilized each time?

Sorry for my ignorance on this, just new to the chicken side.

8. roosmom

roosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    upper peninsula
    About one third of my girls hide in the trees to avoid it [​IMG] .
    About one third " " " will submit QUIETLY [​IMG] .
    About one third " " " will scream their bloody heads off and run as fast they can [​IMG] .

This about sums it up in my experience. [​IMG]

9. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    They 'mate' as many times as the rooster can manage it - some roosters will mate many, many times a day, others aren't quite as amorous.

A hen can fertilize eggs several weeks (up to 3 or even 4 weeks, depending on the source you read) from just one mating.

10. busybychoice

busybychoice Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2008
    kitsap peninsula
    I had to "take my roo for a walk" when I found some of my hens who had been buried in the dirt cause he was upset with them. Oh my gosh! They were afraid to get up from the hole they were buried in, and were badly beaten. I finally got a silkie roo and his bud a bantie with short man syndrome. I never notice "the deed" and my eggs are still coming out fertilized. My problem is the older bigger, bossier, nonproductive hens. oooo but when they lay the eggs are GI-NORMOUS and double yolkers! I must ponder, mmm:rolleyes:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by