Is doing 'deed' cruel?

wannahavehens

Chirping
11 Years
Mar 10, 2008
Hemlock, New York
I'm trying to decide whether to keep my Black Australorp rooster or not. He is a real beauty and I do notice some good reasons to keep him, but his doing the deed seems so cruel to the pullets. They really struggle and make a racket! The other girls come running to -help?- or see what is going on. Do they ever get used to it? Will they eventually not mind it? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm new to this - a real city girl...

But remove him if the hens become wounded (cuts and blood). This can invite infection and weaken them. And then you can find yourself a roo who can behave better toward the hens while still achieving "the goal".

About one third of my girls hide in the trees to avoid it
big_smile.png
About one third " " " will submit QUIETLY
wink.png
About one third " " " will scream their bloody heads off and run as fast they can
sad.png

This about sums it up in my experience.
roll.png

They 'mate' as many times as the rooster can manage it - some roosters will mate many, many times a day, others aren't quite as amorous.

A hen can fertilize eggs several weeks (up to 3 or even 4 weeks, depending on the source you read) from just one mating.

I had to "take my roo for a walk" when I found some of my hens who had been buried in the dirt cause he was upset with them. Oh my gosh! They were afraid to get up from the hole they were buried in, and were badly beaten. I finally got a silkie roo and his bud a bantie with short man syndrome. I never notice "the deed" and my eggs are still coming out fertilized. My problem is the older bigger, bossier, nonproductive hens. oooo but when they lay the eggs are GI-NORMOUS and double yolkers! I must ponder, mmm:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom