Is don’t think this normal??

alexis187

In the Brooder
Feb 24, 2021
I’ve noticed (at least) one of my 24 week old pullets have started to have runny, white, and large poos. I know that that is not what poop is meant to look like but i don’t know what could be wrong...everyone seems to be eating and drinking well and nobody seems lethargic or underweight. It has been very rainy for a long time but not very hot so I don’t think this is heat related. I just don’t know what could be happening but I don’t want my chickens to be in pain with a parasite so I thought I’d ask here...I have pictures too but I won’t attach them here unless someone asks to spare any queasy stomachs...

Where do you live? Recent weather? Do your chickens free ranch? What have they been eating while free ranging, if they do? Post pics. We here on BYC live on poop pictures. You won't shock us.

Oh thanks for answering so quickly!
I'm in central NC and we've had tons of rain recently (which makes for mud and lots of it...) which then freezes until it rains again...though things are finally warming up.
They are not free ranging, we have far too many hawks; we are working on upgrading their run though so that they can have more space.
They are just on a typical layer feed.

Attachments

• chicken poop.jpg
    chicken poop.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 3
At present, I wouldn't recommend doing anything. But your climate conditions are right for a coccidia outbreak. I suggest buying some Corid to keep on hand just in case some of your chickens start to behave lethargically, feathers puffed up, inactive, and diarrhea.

As long as this poop isn't recurring, and as long as your chickens are all behaving normally, you don't need to do anything other than keep an eye on their behavior and be ready to step in with the Corid as soon as you see they are starting to get sick.

Liquid Corid mixes 2 teaspoons to one gallon of drinking water given as the sole water source for five days and repeat in one week.

Ok I have noticed it multiple times...should I start Corid as soon as possible then? And is there a wait period for eating there eggs while on Corid?

you might need to do an overall wellness check, have you seen any mites or lice? check their vents, how are they laying? if you feel comfortable, you can go get a fecal float test with any wildlife vet. if you push hard enough a typical cats and dogs vet might even do one for you. that'll say if they have parisites for sure. you could also deworm them, just to be safe. is it possible that the influx of rain has caused them to drink more, making their poop more watery? I'd also keep an eye on coccidia. if no other symptoms present than i wouldn't worry, runny poop can be an indicator, but not without other symptoms

Ok I will do that...if it ends up being coccidia any thoughts on how to prevent this in the future?
Thank you guys for all your help I really appreciate it!!

I would start the Corid now. It won't hurt them. No egg withdrawal.

azygous gave you the mixing instructions. Make sure you make up fresh Corid water every day. It is only good for 24 hours.

Update: just saw this...it doesn’t look bloody per se but certainly different...waiting for the corid to come in the mail...
4B0CDE85-AB96-4B6A-93F0-3C099600CD71.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom