Is Dona Lou a rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tari, Oct 22, 2019.

1. tari

tari In the Brooder

May 26, 2019
    Waterbury Center, Vermont
    This beauty is 5.5 months old, no other Polish in my flock of 11 Black Austrolorps, Cuckoo Marans, Easter Eggers. There's no crowing but she/he is getting more feisty and self assured around the others. Any idea if I have a cockerel here?

Attached Files:

ValerieJ likes this.
  2. Duck_life

Duck_life Crowing

May 14, 2019
    Woods of PA
    Pullet? I've never owned any polish, only silkies and other breeds. I don't think it is healthy to have just 1 polish chicken in a flock..?

ValerieJ likes this.
  3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It's a pullet, and good that she is becoming feisty as Polish are frequently picked upon in a mixed flock.

4. Ted_Harrell

Ted_Harrell Songster

Sep 23, 2019
    Pembroke North Carolina
    Maybe her feistiness will help her later on, for the aforementioned reasons...:)

ValerieJ likes this.
  5. tari

tari In the Brooder

May 26, 2019
    Thanks all. I had four one-day-old Polish from Purely Poultry. One died immediately and two others were nabbed by a hawk or fox in a half hour interval one day. So now, just Dona Lou. I was hoping for a rooster.... She has been raised from the start with all the other hens and they get along. Maybe in the Spring I'll try to find a rooster to add to the flock.

ValerieJ likes this.
  6. Trimurtisan

Trimurtisan Quackadelic

May 22, 2019
    A cypress swamp in FL
    Hi @tari it's nice to meet you. I don't own Polish, but have looked in to them a few times. Fron what I understand the easiest way to sex them (at least older birds) is the shape of their crest. The females have a soft looking afro, while the males have a more spiked/crazy crest.

This is a female...
    Screenshot_20191022-081543_Google.jpg

This is a male...
    Screenshot_20191022-081602_Google.jpg

Your pullet is beautiful by the way. I love her color.

@Duck_life I know you said you've not owned Polish, nor have I. I'm curious though if you could elaborate a little bit on why polish should not be kept singular. I know that's true about Silkies, which we also keep. I've just not heard that about Polish. I'm asking because I almost bough a single pullet the other day.

ValerieJ and Duck_life like this.
  7. Duck_life

Duck_life Crowing

May 14, 2019
    Woods of PA
    Polish prefer being with their own kind. They also easily get picked on because of the feathers on the top of their head. like @aart mentioned, good thing she has a feisty personality so she will be able to defend herself incase they do end up pecking at her head.

ValerieJ and Trimurtisan like this.
  8. Trimurtisan

Trimurtisan Quackadelic

May 22, 2019
    A cypress swamp in FL
    Gotcha.

Duck_life likes this.
  9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    That was @sourland ;)

Duck_life and ValerieJ like this.
  10. tari

tari In the Brooder

May 26, 2019
    Thanks, Trimurtisan, this is a great site to get good info from experienced chicken keepers! This Polish's head feathers were always different than the other Polish so I thought she might grow into a cockerel. I do love the wild crest feathers of the Polish roosters! The other birds treat her equally so far.

Duck_life, ValerieJ and Trimurtisan like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: