is dumor chick starter/grower medicated feed?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chirpchirp, Apr 30, 2009.

1. chirpchirp

chirpchirp Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2009
    Michigan
    i ordered 25 chicks to arrive in june, and i was buying all my supplies in advance. i bought dumor chick start/grower 20% from Tractor Supply (it's the only kind they had), but no where on the bag does it say medicated.... do you have to feed medicated, i dont think the hatchery (Welp) vaccinates them for Coccidiosis. i don't know what to do? any advice? thanks from a nervous chick mom to be!

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    you do NOT have to have medicated-it is a choice-I don't use it and have never had a problem doens't mean I won't though--I have a bag that I had to buy because I ran out of chick starter-used it for 2 days and switched back when I could get more of my regular food-I will however use it on the new batch of chicks that hatch in 2 weeks-one to get rid of it and two-to give them a boost for their immune systems for coccidious-

3. JessaLynn

JessaLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Sandusky County,Ohio
    I feed ours Dumor and no problems.I also got ours from Welp and have had such good luck with them.This is our second year and I'm so impressed by Welp's quality of chicks.Ours are beautiful and healthy.They don't vaccinate them for cocci.Only Marek's by request. In my expereince they will be just fine with unmedicated feed.It's just a precaution.

4. chirpchirp

chirpchirp Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2009
    Michigan
    Thanks for your advice and info - I feel much better now, I am so excited, and to hear you had a good experience w/Welp I am even more excited and anxious (in a good way:) Thanks again!

5. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I buy Dumor. I have noticed that the chick starter that I got this year had much larger pieces in it than last year. I ended up grinding it in the blender to make it easier for the chicks.

6. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

We have used Welp before - good people and easy to deal with.

I'm pretty sure Dumor feed isn't medicated - check the lable on the bag. If it's medicated it had to say so on the bag lable.

medicated feed isn't a must, some use it some don't. We do use it.

Steve in NC

7. colby318

colby318 got 'dottes?

Jul 14, 2008
    Stamping Ground, KY
    Dumor at our TSC is not medicated. Southern States carries it though. I switch to medicated when we move them outside to our broody coop/run.

8. mamamahoney

mamamahoney Just Hatched

Sep 20, 2015
    For the first time in my 50 odd years of caring for chicks, I had a case of coccidiosis. It was also the first time I'd ever used Dumor chick starter. I lost 5 of the 10 chicks affected.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by