Is Duramyacin safe for ducks? Will it treat Bumblefoot?

Duck Keeper

Songster
10 Years
Mar 18, 2009
Out in the Boonies
Okay, I suspect bumblefoot on a couple of my ducks, they're in an open dog kennel style pen with a huge tarp surrounding the entire back half, and nearly all of the top is covered as well. Like 90% is out of the rain and wet as of yesterday (I put another tarp across the top). They are now on a lot of hay (which I admit did get damp and is VERY BAD!!! But it's all I have, and it's better than being in muck and junk from all this winter). Then pen is mostly dry, after a light sprinkle today it was still fine.

All they had at TSC was Terramycin in TABLET form!
sad.png

And I just wasn't sure about dosage or my abilities to stuff pills down their throats successfully.

Now here's my bunch of questions;

1.) Is Duramyacin (or however you spell it) in powder form safe to use in duck and goose drinking water?

2.) If it is, will it treat bumblefoot? I was reading and it said that it treated CRD and stuff, and it IS an antibiotic so who knows...

3.) What would be the correct dosage? Does this information from another thread apply? (It's for terramyacin)

per WES:
4 tsp per gallon for 4 days then cut to 2 tsp per gallon for 6 days.

The suspected bumblefoot isn't very bad - yet. I want to prevent it from getting worse, so I don't have to do surgery on their feet! They're only 'kinda' tame... You know, where if you can catch them they're okay for a second and then they struggle to get away... -__-;​

barnie.gif
Just wanted to say, I have the Duramyacin (or whatever) on hand, and that the manufacturer discontinued Terramyacin... So I can't get it unless I order it online.

Which would obviously take too long.

If I don't get answers by tomorrow morning, I'm just going to give them a little less than the terramycin dosage in their waterer.

Hope this works!
fl.gif

I wanted to start it soon, since this is only the beginning, and I would hate to cull or do surgery if I could prevent it... (Culling is OBVIOUSLY a last ditch effort on my part to end their suffering... Not something to be taken lightly for my feather babies!)

Quote:
the easiest way to make sure they get the whole dose is just cut a cherry tomato in half, stick the tablet in the tomato, and go "Duckies! I got a treat for you!!!!!" and make sure you give the right duck the tomato with the treat. Works like a charm. they think their are getting treated, you know the scarffed down the pill. lol I just did this ming Mei

Okay, today I put six (give or take) tablespoons of Duramycin in their five-gallon waterer. They're all drinking, all acting fine so far.

It's late, and they don't seem to have any bad reactions as of yet.

I'm still looking out for anything to go wrong, but hoping it all goes well.
smile.png

Duramyacin and Terramycin are essentially the same thing. They're all forms of tetracycline.

I don't know if it works on bumblefoot, but it definitely is safe for ducks. I used it on all of mine as babies and they had no problems with it.

1. i don't suspect it will work

2. are you certain you have cases of bumblefoot? it is mimicked by many harmless look-alikes.

Back
Top Bottom