Is Duramycin 10 safe for quail?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by heatherndoug, Nov 26, 2010.

1. heatherndoug

heatherndoug Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2010
    Newberry
    I am raising some Texas A&M and Jumbo browns who have become sneezy and one has a puffy eye it really appears to be a resp infection of some sort. I put some in their water that I normally used on my chickens. I just cant find anything that says its safe or not safe for them.

Thanks.

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    IT SHOULD NOT HURT THEM UNLESS OVERDOSED, IT WONT WORK.... BUT IT WONT HURT THEM. QUAIL RESPOND TO MEDICATIONS VERY DIFFERENTLY THAN CHICKENS DO AND NORMALLY REQUIRE DIFFERENT ANTIBIOTICS... BUT THIS IS TRIVIAL STUFF FOR NOW

WHATS IMPORTANT IS WHAT DO YOUR QUAIL HAVE FOR ILLNESS? IN MOST CASES ANY RESP ILLNESSES ARE VERY BAD OMENS. LOOK VERY CAREFULLY AT THE LINK HERE AND SEE IF YOUR BIRD LOOKS ANYTHING LIKE THIS

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=250361

3. heatherndoug

Nov 26, 2010
    Newberry
    Thanks for the fast reply!

No, they do not look that bad at all. They more look like mild pink eye (maybe pecked) and sneeze a bit. It is only one or two. We had a problem with a bird pecking and had to separate him. It may have just not healed from that. Is there anything you do recommend for URI in quail if that is what it is?

4. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Best Therapy For Quail Is A Combination Therapy... Baytril (vet Only) And Either Lincomycin Or Solumet

5. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Sulmet works too

6. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:THIS IS NOT TYPICAL OF QUAIL. USUALLY ANY URI IN GAMEBIRD SPECES ARE VERY BAD ILLNESSES. ARE THEY IN CONTACT WITH CHICKENS/ DUCKS/ TURKEYS???

7. heatherndoug

Nov 26, 2010
    Newberry
    I dont know if it is an URI, I just know they were a little bit sneezy. I do have chickens but they dont really come in contact with them..the quail are high of the ground in there own cages. The chickens are penned unless free ranging. I think its more that they were pecked by the males. I had too many males in the cage maturing and they seemed to be fighting for room. I have since separated the more aggressive birds but the one still has the swollen eye and sneezes. I am trying to make sure they dont have something and be proactive if they do by heading it off before it gets out of hand. They came from an avian farm with MANY other birds but this is the first ones that I had gotten from him that may be sick. If it were a human it might look like allergies. Once the eye gets red they seem to peck it more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by