Is Dutch Bowing to Levi? Surprised by Today's On-Range Drama (long)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by speckledhen, Jun 20, 2010.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The main flock, complete with the seven 18-week-olds, was on-range today. Levi, my blue Wheaten Ameraucana, was with most of his own age group and only a few feet away from Dutch and a few of his girls. Then I see a commotion in among the leaves and underbrush and I see Levi mating one of his own girls, the Barred Rock Barbara, for the first time (eggs soon!). Dutch, being only a few feet away, sees the drama and casually walks toward Levi and Barbara, but stops short and doesn't seem to really care. I thought maybe it was because Barbara is one of the teenagers and not actually one of Dutch's girls yet, per se.

Barbara gets up and shakes off. Ivy, my very weak and dying, much older BR hen is scratching in the leaves nearby. Apparently, Levi likes the barred girls and he tried to jump Ivy, but met with some heavy resistance--feet were flying on both sides, Ivy trying to put him in his place and him trying to tell her who's boss. I am running over to where all the drama is happening to try to help Ivy, but they are down the hill in the tangle and I'm not getting there fast with my painful ankle. Ivy has egg peritionitis and is laying internally, so her abdomen is swollen, even after we drained off over 300 cc of fluid from her, and she is bone thin- certainly not up to being manhandled by some young upstart.

Levi backs off a few steps and Ivy tries to walk away, but Levi seizes the opportunity and jumps her. She is screaming and falling over and is so weak, she can't get her footing under him. Dutch is clucking uneasily, but he doesn't come to save her! DH jumps in and grabs Levi off Ivy, actually holding him by the neck like he's going to snap it, but I tell him that Levi is just a youngster and isn't doing anything really wrong, so go easy on him. Ivy is my concern. She is sitting down, trying to catch her breath and I go scoop her up and take her into the coop to sit in the air from the fans. Levi is being held by DH, who is petting him and talking to him and he seems quite calm and content. When we let him down, he goes after Olivia, my other ill hen, circling her with his shoulder dropped, but Olivia is wise to him and runs at him in protest. He backs off with some warning from my DH.

So, what's up with Dutch?? He is just over two years old and he is actually allowing Levi to mate the hens. I'd wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes. Ivy is sitting inside the coop and her sister, Lexie, is by her side watching over her. She is going to die, but I don't want her hurt and stressed right now, on top of what's happening to her internally. Dutch doesn't mate her anymore. Dang teenage rooster.

The players in today's drama:

Dutch

[​IMG]

Levi:

[​IMG]

Ivy in the background, Olivia in the foreground:

[​IMG]

Barbara:

[​IMG]

2. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    That is odd,, I wonder if he figured since she wasn't interested in mating him he should step aside? It seems strange that he would allow that to happen though! Blue Roo gets hysterical when someone makes a pass at one of his ladies.

3. speckledhen

I had just remarked to someone that Dutch and Levi were standing only a few feet from each other, with Levi crowing up a storm, and Dutch didn't even glance his way. That seemed odd, especially when I thought that would start the rivalry between the two roosters, but today was a puzzler. I can't believe Dutch will tolerate Levi like that. I guess it's good, but it's weird. Dutch refused to share his hens with his brother, Mace, and I had to rehome Mace to keep the peace. That was when they had 30 hens between them. There are many fewer girls now. Maybe it was because Mace was also a BR and Levi is one of those no-wattle, pea combed bearded guys. [​IMG]

I have had almost no fertile eggs from the main flock lately, though. Dutch mates Fern (a BR) and the Delawares, but he hasn't been seen mating anyone else at all for weeks and weeks. The non-fertile eggs prove it.

4. Ellie

Ellie Songster

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    I say Dutchie just isn't earning his keep. [​IMG]

5. speckledhen

Sounds like it, doesn't it? And I'm thinking of selling Levi anyway--honestly, I really don't need five roosters. He's so gorgeous, though.

6. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I really do not think Dutch gives a crap anymore. He has been bloodied up enough his mind and just watches over them during the day and enjoys peace at night...so let Levi have the meanies. [​IMG]

It is odd...but I find the whole thing with Thor and Severus odd too. I mean at first ALL women were Thor's and there was hell to pay if Severus looked at a single one. Now, weeks later, Thor has allowed Severus a few girls and only allows him to go after and mate those girls.

So who the heck can understand the rooster brain and way of thinking?

Poor Ivy...Levi best stay the hell away from that girl or he will get a 7 1/2 sneaker up his butt when I see him...or I may pick him up and hand him to Suede or Isaac to play with. Bad bad boy! Glad Livvie gave him the what for.

7. speckledhen

Well, you know Levi mated Livvie a couple days ago. Guess she decided that was the one and only time. She just choked and choked afterward. He sure knows to pick on the weak ones, bad boy.

I'll sell Levi and if anything happens to Dutch, I'll put Isaac in as the flock leader again or if something happened to Isaac, God forbid, then I'd give Ike's girls back to Dutch. When Suede is gone, no replacement would be possible--he broke the mold. I just don't need all the roosters if I'm not selling hatching eggs anymore. I just can't believe that Dutch was so brutal with his brother, Mace, that I had to rehome him and now, he's letting Levi carouse with his women. You'd think Dutchie was elderly and he's only two. [​IMG]

8. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    It does not make sense does it? But I certainly have not figured out Thor's thinking yet so hard for me to imagine what Dutch is thinking. LOL

Suede I would understand of course and just give him whatever he wanted or get rid of what he did not want. [​IMG]

Poor Livvie I cannot imagine heartbreaking it is for you to hear her like that. [​IMG]

9. speckledhen

It is really awful to see her choking just because she laid down and put pressure on her abdomen.

Ivy has so much fight in her. She really slapped Levi down, but it zapped all her energy and he seemed to know that and capitalize on it. [​IMG]

10. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Oh that is just mean of his litle hormonal self. No wonder his daddy grabbed him by his neck. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by