Is early November an odd time to start molting?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LLHEET8586, Nov 7, 2014.

1. LLHEET8586

LLHEET8586 New Egg

Aug 15, 2014
    This week I've noticed feathers all over my porch (it's the animal hang out) and I'm assuming it's my black sexlink's first time molting. She is a year as a half, but I'm wondering if it's an odd time to start. I'm in NJ so the days are getting colder, but still have those occasional warm days. She is free range and the only chicken we have. She insists on perching on the fence, but in the winter months we have to physically put her up in the coop so she doesn't freeze to death. She does look a little ruffled, but still I haven't noticed any bald spots... Yet. How long does it usually take for a molt? Seems like she's losing a lot, but I guess it's kind of like hair... You can have a ton in your brush, doesn't mean you have a bald spot lol.

2. chasiekitten12

chasiekitten12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2014
    Not a weird time to molt at all. She will problobly molt for a month or a month and a half. She is just going through her her first molt and do not be worried.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by