Is egg safe to eat?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jakeyuma, Apr 11, 2017.

1. jakeyuma

jakeyuma New Egg

Jun 28, 2015
    Hi,

My chickens are laying 6 eggs a day. 1-2 eggs will have a small hole pecked in it, possibly stepped on by chicken, or it will have a small crack most likely from laying (need to fix boxes to hold bedding).

My question is: If there is a small hole (bb size) but the membrane is not broke (no egg coming through hole), is the egg safe to eat?

This is my first time with chickens and so glad they are laying now.

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    You need to fix nesting boxes---using hay or something to soften the bottom of the nest. I personally feed the punctured/cracked eggs to the hogs.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I might eat one if it is very fresh, clean, and fully cooked...but usually not.

4. WesleyBeal

WesleyBeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2016
    Douglas County, Minnesota
    I've had that happen a few times. Haven't eaten them, but have cracked them open and fed them to the dog. They looked fine. So I suppose it depends a lot on how hungry you are...

I haven't eaten mine, as I am not short of eggs. Got more eggs than we can ever eat. Those that I can't sell or give away or eat or feed to the pets, get hard-boiled, and fed back to the chickens.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Once that shell is cracked, it's an opening for germs and bacteria to get in - like from the chicken poop on the feet of the chicken that may have stepped on that egg and broke it in the first place. I'd maybe eat it if I weren't getting plenty of good, unbroken eggs and I was hungry...

6. Spartan22

Spartan22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    North Canton, Ohio
    I normally feed them to my wife and she hasn't got sick yet [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. adstowe

adstowe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2016
    Colorado
    Best comment EVER

1 person likes this.