is either rooster worth keeping??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mamahen82, Oct 26, 2010.

1. mamahen82

mamahen82 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2010
    We are fairly new to chickens, and have ended up with two roosters. I'm not really sure if we want ANY roosters to begin with, I hadn't intended on getting any but didn't realize how difficult it is to tell.

Anyhow - we picked up a box of 5 mixed birds at the auction a few months back (I had actually posted here wondering what kind they are/gender). Two are definitely roosters, and are now "grown up". I understand that two roosters is too many for 5 hens. So my question is - which one would you keep? Should we even bother keeping either? The dominant white/speckled one is suddenly being very aggressive and attacking our (previously dominant) sweet old hen.

There had been some suggestion in my original post that this guy might be a golden cuckoo maran. I have a hard time believing that one would show up in a mixed box at the auction, but wanted to post an updated picture here to glean any more speculation/thoughts. If he is something rare then I'd like to keep him seeing as he is good with all the other birds.

thanks!
    [​IMG] Rooster #1 - Dominant. Feet are grey with a pinkish tinge.
    [​IMG] Rooster #2 - doesn't crow but looks like a roo even in my very limited experience.

2. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    Going on looks alone I personally like the look of the first one. I don't know what either may be but he is the better looking one.

Lanae

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Oh, I like #1. A LOT.

4. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Depends on what you want to keep them for... If you're looking for flock protection, go with the one who acts like he'll protect his hens. If you want to raise chicks, look at what kind of hens you have and what kind of chicks you want to hatch out. If you are looking for show birds, find out for sure what breeds you have and compare them to the breed standard. If you just want a pretty roo to strut around the yard and crow, my vote is for the golden cuckoo colored roo. [​IMG]

5. Candiss

Candiss Burdette Bantams

Jun 30, 2010
    Alabama
    How old are they? or approximate? If they get along keep them both. [​IMG]

6. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    If they get along keep them both.....that said it depends on their age too. They might get to a point where they do fight to be the alpha roo. But they say if they are raised together sometimes that does not happen.

In the pictures you posted the first one looks prettier but the other one is not standing up the same and is probably pretty too.

You just never know and simply have to watch them and see who you want to keep.

I do know this much however, my main rooster changed when I took the other rooster out and put him by himself. He has been really nice to his girls and watches out over them. When they are laying their eggs he stands outside the coop and when they do the egg song he sings with them and crows after they lay. I am really pleased with this rooster.

The one I put in a different pen I like also. He was the less dominate of the two but tried to breed the hens and the other roo would not have it and beat him up three days in a row. I am glad I moved him out and now I have five girls for him in quarantine that are the same breed as he is.

So, that was my answer....build another pen and coop! Not that my DH thought that was really the thing to do.....but it was his idea to put the pen where it is and his idea to build the second coop.....Ah, chicken math!

7. KCchickens

KCchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2010
    Fayette county, IL
    Ooo first one is pretty![​IMG]

8. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    If they get along, I'd keep them both myself. If roosters get along, having more than one is not generally a problem and can be rather fun. (I have...um...a lot of roosters. [​IMG])

If it comes down to a choice, looks-wise I think #1 is stunning! One also has to take personality into account, though, of course.

9. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    I would keep the Golden Cuckoo marans... Yep.. He is nice looking... and yes you do find a mixed bag... GOOD GRAB!!! rare bird.

10. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    I think they are both beautiful. I would do what I could to hang on to both of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by