1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is Elvira laying? *Pics*

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gotchooks?, Aug 20, 2008.

1. gotchooks?

gotchooks? Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    I found this gorgeous speckled egg in a nest box on Sunday.
    [​IMG]
    These are the eggs I've been getting from my 2 ISA Brown Ladies (20 weeks), Ginger on the far right, Big Sheila in the middle and ? on the left.
    [​IMG]
    I usually find 2 eggs a day with maybe 4 days in the last 3 weeks of only 1 egg collected. Big Sheila lays the lighter brown eggs, while Ginger's eggs are mostly smaller, and darker. Sunday I found Big Sheila's larger light brown egg along with this large speckled light brown egg. There was no smaller dark brown egg which is normally what I expect from Ginger. Here's my egg carton for comparison (right-thursday to left-sunday) with the speckled egg on the far left.
    [​IMG]
    This is Elvira at 12 weeks.
    [​IMG]
    Here she is at 16 weeks.
    [​IMG]
    And this is her today at 20 weeks.
    [​IMG]
    Her comb and wattles are much larger and redder this past week and she's been squatting ALOT. I know these are signs that laying is close.
    Do you think the speckled egg may have come from her or could it be one of my ISA girls is getting FANCY on me? By the way, both ISA ladies are laying their usual color eggs now...and I haven't found another speckled egg.
    I hope this wasn't too confusing! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  2. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    I bet it is Elvira! Congrats!
    ~Rebecca

3. gotchooks?

gotchooks? Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    I hope so! All my girls are RIGHT THERE with regards to laying...I really have been waiting patiently. They'll probably ALL lay their first egg on the SAME morning...just for grins! Waiting just plain stinks! No matter how disappointed I am after checking for eggs, I am still excited and hopeful for tomorrow morning...[​IMG]

4. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

she's a very pretty girl; my Betty looks a lot like her, and is fast approaching laying ... (I hope!) [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by