Is Everyone Loving This Heat?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by gamebirdboy, Jun 15, 2011.

1. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    It's been in the 90's for weeks here and we haven't had a good rain for a few weeks either. The field was a dust bowl and my garden was dead, it just started raining![​IMG] Now I can make some money mowing again. Who else hates this heat? I already lost a broody because of it, today seems cooler I hope it stays that way.

2. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Overrun With Chickens

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    Heat? It's raining here again.

Shoulda planted rice in the garden this year.

3. gamebirdboy

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    This is the first good shower in weeks here... [​IMG]

4. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    Our drought index is getting higher and higher! brush fires all over the place and my a/c running day and night [​IMG] whenever we get a thunderstorm I collect water for my poor drooping garden and for our fish tanks as our city water has so much chlorine in it it kills anything arrrgh!

5. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    Is it December yet???? I HATE the heat

6. gamebirdboy

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    I have buckets under the gutters and the chickens are out in the rain. Ever since I gave them a bath they swim in the water buckets. [​IMG]

7. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    I think the last time it rained here it was when we had flooding in September. At least it feels that way. I've never seen it this brown this early in the year. Trees are even wilting. Our forecast for the next week is all over 100*. [​IMG]

Is it October yet?

8. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    108 here today, and could still climb for a few hours. What's not to love? [​IMG] Totally kidding. No rain in sight, but about 5 minutes ago a huge dust devil made it's path through here. It was the chickens' first one...scared them [​IMG] until they realized all the bogie leaves it blew to them...[​IMG] suddenly the heat didn't bother them anymore.

Hope everyone's animals are holding up ok. Gonna be a scorcher this year...meh, who am I kidding, it's a scorcher every year. [​IMG]

9. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

We were in deep winter until about 10 days ago here in northern California. Eight days ago, I was wearing layered clothing with tights underneath, long johns, and a turtleneck shirt. It is usually in the 90s here by late April/early May. No such banana this year, though.

It has been ungodly, unbearably cold to those of us here who are used to California's summers.

My own personal comfort aside (i.e., I detest the cold), it's so awful that nothing is growing. I mean, things grow, but it's not gonna get hot enough for anything to ripen on the vine. Just like last year. I don't love 100-degree heat, but I love the natural cycles that make it easy to produce food in California.

No such luck this year.

Expect prices to rise.

10. Rollerman

Rollerman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    WE also had that run of hot days here in middle Tn. Finally cooled down this week and we have had some nice rain today. I have been watering my flowers and garden for two weeks. Lost several chicks and one broody from the heat. Makes you worry about whats in store for summer!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by