1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

is extra space ok?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by FloridaDoulaMama, Oct 31, 2010.

1. FloridaDoulaMama

FloridaDoulaMama Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2010
    sarasota, florida
    For some reason I feel like I've read or heard that too much space in a coop is a negative point. Is that true? If it matters- we have a 10x10 building I'd like to turn into a coop for 5-10 chickens. They'd be free ranging when I am home, and in a run when I'm out.

Thanks, Cheryl

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I'm not sure why it would be...but do you really think you can limit yourself to 5 - 10 chickens with all that space available? [​IMG]

3. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Extra space is fine, the more the merrier [​IMG]

4. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    I'm only going to say this once...there is no such thing as "extra space" once chicken math kicks in...[​IMG]

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Why would anyone think extra space is too much? Especially if your coop is well lit, it's an excellent place for them to hang out during rainy, snowy, icy, or dangerous days. Our coop is much bigger than 10x10, it's a practical living room. . . And we have two of them. We don't have enough chickens to fill even one, but they're great for keeping warm in or keeping out of our constant rain.

6. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Yep, the bad thing about extra space is that it will be filled up with more chickens before you know it and then you will wonder why you didn't start bigger. [​IMG]

7. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    My chickens practically get the entire garden, about 600 m -sq and I still only have four [​IMG]

8. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    Is it OK to have almost a dozen eggs? I am 1 over the space limit of my coop so now I am in the process of building another and the lease is already signed. [​IMG]

9. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    i think extra space is fine. (smile)

andrea-

10. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    There is literally no such thing as "too much" space. And I don't mean that you'll buy more chickens, either.

Chickens will use the space they have. The more they have, the better. They'll be happier, healthier, and you'll be happier having less work to do keeping their living quarters clean.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by