1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is Farming/Homesteading even worth it?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Harvest Mint, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Harvest Mint

Harvest Mint Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2016
    Philadelphia, Tennessee
    I live on a 34 acre property that used to be a farm where the former owner raised dairy cattle. All the buildings are still intact if not needing a little( a lot) of TLC. My family has had this property for 11 years now and have gone through a few chickens and ducks. The only other livestock we have are three fat horses. There are apple trees and blackberry bushes. We planted two pear trees and got our first harvest this year. We have grown corn and other veggies before. So I know the joys of living off the land. My parents have since moved away for my Dad's job and my grandparents are still paying for the property. My parents used to write off a lot of expenses off on the taxes because off them being counted towards the farm. I now live in my parents old house on the property and I don't make as much money as they did to be able to help my grandparents. I do how ever have an able body and extra time that I can contribute. I want to be able to help with food costs by growing our on food and maybe selling the excess. My fiancé on the other hand is a city boy and says it's not worth the time and effort when you can buy chicken and such at the store for cheap. He is a meat cutter at the store so he does know a little about that. His attitude is just really getting me down and questioning is it really all worth it. I love animals and interacting with them. Caring for them is more like a hobby and not so much a chore. I love fish and would like to try some aquaponics but he says thats a waste to when you can buy veggies at the store. If you can't tell he doesn't like animals. Crazy enough I have one mouse, three rats, two budgies, and dozens of fish as personal pets. I have an office that I keep them in so he doesn't have to be bothered by them. I am not even asking him to help me with anything partaining to the animals. I guess I am just ranting now. Are there like any statistics to show if all this is worth it or not?

2. miss heny

miss heny Genetic Expert in learning Premium Member

It honestly is. You know were your food came from plus how much better their living conditions are compare to commercial market food. On top of that there a sense of joy from it.

Yes it alot of work, but the reward is worth it.

3. Harvest Mint

Nov 16, 2016
    Philadelphia, Tennessee
    I get weird looks when I tell coworkers I am going to eat some of my chickens. I simply tell them it is the quality not the quantity of the life. And you are very right. I do feel better knowing that my chickens could spend nearly everyday in the sun and do their natural behaviors. The hens my family has had in the past laid mostly double yolk eggs. These things were massive and would hardly fit in the largest egg cartons we could get. They were fed what ever feed my parents could afford and what ever bugs. I think they may have killed a few mice and rats too.

I am hoping once everything gets to harvestable size then my man may change his mind. We don't currently have a lot of food in the house. That is certainly gonna change. I want to turn my back porch into an indoor grow room to get a few veggies in the cold months but not sure if I can make that work.

4. miss heny

miss heny Genetic Expert in learning Premium Member

Give it a try and see what happens!

Maybe in time invest in a couple of dairy goats? Of course good fencing is a must but fresh milk is the best ;)

5. Harvest Mint

Nov 16, 2016
    Philadelphia, Tennessee
    I have this section of yard that we can't do anything with between my house and the other house on the property because the septic tank is buried there. Its already mostly fenced so it wouldn't take mush to attach some poultry fencing to make it better to contain the chickens. I was gonna get a handful of meat chickens, maybe go with a frying pan special, and let them forage freely there. There is also a part of the field already sectioned off that I could put a cow and a few goats and maybe a pig or two. It's at least a couple of acres so it shouldn't be a problem. Our three horses spend most of their time there and we still have to bush hog it to see to walk down to the pond.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by