Is feeding hamburger OK?

Mortimer

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 6, 2008
SW of Wichita, KS
Just a quick question -- we try to recycle & reuse everything we can around here, wonder if there's any harm in feeding leftover ground beef to the chickens? It would be cooked of course.

Not talking about anything regular here -- just if & when we have leftovers from cooking burgers (kids hardly ever finish theirs), tacos, etc. We always give any bread & veggie scraps to the chickens but I'm curious what kindof meat is OK too?

Thanks!

I gave mine a little leftover meatloaf mixed in some hot oatmeal last week when it was very cold. They ate it up and I figured they could use a little extra protein being it was so cold.

Chickens love meat and scraps. One thing I am very cautious of is how much salt is on the left overs. Sodium is toxic to poultry.
I will give ours a few salty treats here and there, but not any that amounts to a large quantity, example Cheese, Chinese food, and other things.
Most of us don't realize how much sodium is in our foods, if your salt sensitive or even if you not, do a bit of self education and read up a bit, its so shocking in processed foods (sorry I went this direction), but scraps, meats and fats are ok, just like with us, in limited amounts!

This is good to know. I figured salt was a problem. I have some leftover (half-eaten) meatballs and mashed potatoes from last night that I was planning to give them. Maybe as a treat later in the day.

Being it's -18 here right now, I'm thinking a warm bowl of oatmeal will be the first thing they get this morning.

Mine get everything except the things they dont like, we have a chicken bucket in the kitchen for all the leftovers.
They love it.
My 17 year old hen Goldilocks sure ate lots of hamburgers and she loved them, I really think they need a good variety just as we do!@

Quote:
Well, if that isn't a testament to ground beef, I don't know what is!

I personally would have no problem feeding them leftover cooked beef, but not in quantity. My Buff's behinds are already too fluffy!

Most have a problem with feeding left over chicken, I personally don't, if they had their Cannibalistic ways, they wouldn't care if it was hot or not!!!!
But I had to laugh about the bucket in the floor, yuppers me too! Its like a hungry man at a buffet

This is good to hear. I hate throwing food out! We keep a bucket in the kitchen as well, fill it with scraps throughout the day and give it to the chickens in the evening.

We have a "chicken bucket" too! My family thought I was nuts at first. For a while I had to remind them because they would scrape their plates into the sink. Pretty soon as they were heading to the sink they would say, " I know I know, put it in the chicken bucket!! " Mine get just about every left over we have, and yes I do feed them left over chicken!!!

Back
Top Bottom