Is feeding scraps directly on the sand Okay??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by capebird, Oct 1, 2011.

1. capebird

capebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Cape Cod
    This may be kind of silly question.... I have a sand ground in the run. When
    I feed scraps (like vegetable scraps)... I just throw them on the sand. I'm
    assuming this is okay (yes?) even though the food scraps get covered
    with the sand.... as opposed to putting the scraps in a bowl
    (I have to keep reminding myself, this is not fine dining).

thanks

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

LOL...yes, perfectly fine. I'll doubt you'll find a bird out there that'd turn up their beak at scraps because they're served on sand rather than fine china [​IMG]

3. Nic&Chickies

Nic&Chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    New Britain, CT
    Besides, I think the sand would work as grit, and help in the digestion--right? [please tell me I didn't just say something totally stupid!]

4. tritty74

tritty74 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I have noticed that even if it is put in a bowl they pick it out and it ends up in the sand anyway. It doesn't hurt them.

5. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Last night just before they went in for the night, I stired up some sand that had pack a little. The hens came up and started eating the sand. Nothing I could tell was in it but they seemed to think so.

6. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Yes, sand will not hurt them.

If your birds eat too much sand, it will pass right thru them and you might see some sandy droppings but it will not hurt them.

Sand can work as grit, but many times the type of stone/rock that makes up the sand is too soft to actually be a good grinding tool in the gizzard. Plus for an adult chicken the size of sand is too small to be helpful. Most adult chickens use grit pieces that are roughly the size of peas. Once in the gizzard, if the piece wears down, it will pass out of the body also.

If you would like to know more about your bird's digestive tract and what does go on inside them - then this is a great article to read (complete with pictures): http://www.ca.uky.edu/smallflocks/Factsheets/Anatomy_and_Physiology/Anatomy_digestive.pdf

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by