Is Finch Worth getting into?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by feather leg farms, Aug 7, 2009.

1. feather leg farms

feather leg farms Songster

Jun 25, 2009
    Salisbury, NC
    I thought about getting a pair of finch. A Fawn and a pied.

Are they worth getting into?

Do they sell well?

Should I breed them?

2. feather leg farms

Jun 25, 2009
    Salisbury, NC
    Anyone?

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    My BIL raises them and sells them to many pet stores and to snake guy's, he says they are easy to raise multiply like rabbits and lay very fertile eggs and hatch well. so I would say they are worth it. Not to mention they require very little space and feed.

AL

4. feather leg farms

Jun 25, 2009
    Salisbury, NC
    Thanks

5. popcornpuppy

popcornpuppy Songster

Jun 19, 2009
    Holland, Massachusetts
    My inlaws raise them but don't make any real money off of them. They trade them to the petstore for food and what ever else they need. It is more of a hobby for them but they enjoy it greatly.

6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Many years ago I raised a few zebras. Easy to raise and fun to watch, but I got to admit the squeaking finally got to me. When they went into the spare bedroom with the door closed, I decided I wasn't a very good finch owner. They went to a better owner.

Imp- I just gave the babies away.

7. clickie

clickie Songster

Apr 28, 2009
    Ocean State
    I own zebra finches, they come in a wide varity of colors. My friend owns more of the fancier finches. Zebras are the lest expensive, while some of them can cost hundreds. I like the songs my zebras make, but they can not be held, so they are just a bird to look at. I do not breed mine, since I have enough, but zebras will readily breed. good luck with your new birds.

are you thinking about keeping zebras, or another type of finch. I would suggest buying a flight cage for them, as most people think finches can live in a small cage due to their size. Finches love to fly around, so the bigger the better.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  8. feather leg farms

Jun 25, 2009
    Salisbury, NC
    I don't think we are going to get them. My mom doesn't like the idea of a messy little loud bird. The trading them for food idea is great, I'll have to tell her and maybe we can get them. They can stay in the laundry room with the Hahn's Mcaw we have. Thanks, Cheyenne @ Feather Leg Farms!

9. allison finch

allison finch Songster

Jun 12, 2009
    Chapel Hill, NC
    WHEW!!!!!

When I saw the name on this thread......I was really worried!!![​IMG]

10. kkdd

kkdd In the Brooder

Dec 18, 2013
    THEY BREED FAST IF YOU HAVE THE RIGHT SUPPLIES YOU COULD SELL FINCHES FOR $15 EACH

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: