Is fluctuating bad or not?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MaranDude, Apr 10, 2009.

1. MaranDude

MaranDude Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    On my Computer
    Ok so my temp in my homemade incubaotr changes from about 90 to 104. And some people say it's ok but others say that it might kill the chicks. Now the first time I did this they deid but it was because of humidty and they were all growing fine and were healthy. So what is the final census on this problem?

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

That is too much of a temperature swing in my opinion. One or two degrees once in a while is one thing, but that's a 14 degree swing. I would be surprised if they make it to hatch with those kind of extremes.

3. MaranDude

MaranDude Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    On my Computer
    how can I fix it? the thermostat is already completely set up.

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I don't know how you would adjust it. This is something you should have had worked out before you put more eggs in. This is a homemade incubator? Hopefully someone will come along who's made theirs and give you some ideas on how to fix it while your eggs still have a chance.

5. selinagil

selinagil Chillin' With My Peeps

Try putting a jar of warm water with a lid insdie the bator to act as a heat sink--it should help with the temp fluctuations. [​IMG]

6. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    NorCal
    Do you have a fan inside the 'bator?

7. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Quote:really? that works? hmmmmmmmmmmm

8. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Lots of possible problems. Not enough air movement, fan pointed at the wrong spot, not a large enough heat source... You'll have to experiment. Preferably while no eggs are in it.

Temporary drops or spikes of that much would probably be ok if they lasted no more than 30-60mins and did not happen repeatedly. If it keeps swinging back and forth though or staying at one extreme or the other you are likely to have dead chicks and those that do hatch may be deformed. They also probably won't hatch on time.

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

It helps especially if you only have a small number of eggs in your bator.

10. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ

It helps especially if you only have a small number of eggs in your bator.

looks like i gotta try this.... thanks for that tip!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by