Is Gamebird Food Ok to Feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Getaway Gal, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Getaway Gal

Getaway Gal Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2009
    Hocking Hills
    My husband came home from the feed store with Gamebird Food. Is this ok to give my 23-28 week old chickens and two turkeys??
    Thanks.

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Sure! I use Purina Flock Raiser on my birds too! It is just higher protein. Be sure to throw out some calcium shells for the laying hens.

3. Getaway Gal

Getaway Gal Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2009
    Hocking Hills
    Great! I'll run out and give it to them. Didn't want to do it without a confirmation that it was ok! Thanks.

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    It depends what kind of gamebird feed. There is gamebird starter, maintanence, flight conditioner and layena. Each has different levels of protein that may or may not be ideal. It would be best to confirm exactly what he got.

5. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Yup, I prefer it actually. I use the ManaPro gamebird/showbird starter now. There was a major difference in older chicks I got when I switched them to it, and amazing feather growth on chicks I hatched myself. They came out of that wooden brooder box looking like they had been free ranging in the Garden of Eden or something.

6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Animals tend to eat to the levels they do to get to their protein requirements. If you feed a higher protein food, they will just eat less. If you are still worried about the protein percent being too high, give them some more greens.

7. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    ive fed game bird finisher for over a year now and my birds do great on it. I think its 16% protein.

8. Sandrachx

Sandrachx Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2007
    Chelsea, MI
    Quote:i've given my hens the game bird conditioner over the past 2 months. now that it's winter and we've been having 15degrees and lower at night, i'm wondering if i should stay with the higher protein along with their layer crumble. i try to give it to them as a treat every other day, thrown into the leaves and straw they scratch through.

any suggestions.

9. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
  10. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    Mine ONLY get Gamebird Feed. It is the only feed I can find around here that meets the higher protein % and consists of both animal and plant protein (which I require).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by