Is garlic a good wormer?

mbu

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 15, 2009
I've read that garlic steeped in water for three days makes a good wormer for chickens when used for their drinking water. So... how much garlic water will the chickens have to drink in order for it to be effective? In other words, do I leave the water for them one, two, three, etc. days.

I make my girls oatmeal and put a teaspoon of minced garlic in the oatmeal. They eat it right up.
I haven't used it as a wormer but as a precaution. I have never seen worms in their poo before. If you know they have worms you should us the search and put in worms. IM sure you will find some info on what to do.

I grate raw garlic in my chickens cooked grits and give it to them that way.
I have never seen worms.
I use it to help fight off illness also especially during these cold months.

Quote:
Chicken women,

Do you make a batch of oatmeal and give it to your chickens or do you make individual amounts for each chicken? If individual amounts, how much oatmeal to how much garlic?

Thanks...

Last edited:
If you suspect that your chicken has worms I would collect a stool sample and take it to the vet. Ask them to perform a fecal float test so that they can determine what type of worms the bird has. Then they can tell you the specific treatment for that type of worm.

I buy cheap oatmeal in big containers at walmart. Once every couple weeks I make about 2 gallons in a big pot and put into container in my fridge in the garage.

I add some black sunflower seed, some minced garlic,some corn meal,some scratch and some of their pellets, crushed egg shells for calcium etc. I have 15 hens and take out about a quart every morning all warmed up. Sometimes I put chopped apple if I have one going to ripe. Or some frozen berries from last summers pick.

My girls are spoiled and expect breakfast every morning. They have been laying all winter pretty consistantly. I get about 9 eggs a day right now.
When they see me come out the door they are very excited to see the food lady !
love.gif
I think they just love me for my food ! Darn them fickle girls.
celebrate.gif
Oh well we love their eggs to
wee.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom