Is ginger ham a real chicken breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by alannanelson, Nov 27, 2009.

1. alannanelson

alannanelson New Egg

Nov 27, 2009
    I just bought 2 chicks that are "ginger ham chickens". Cannot find anything on the internet on this breed. Is it a real breed? Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

3. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    Never heard of that breed. Do you have a picture? Maybe they ment Hamburg (Ham) http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGD/Hamb/BRKHamburg.html never heard of a ginger though.

Ginger is a color, so maybe your bird actually is a ginger. http://www.birdtrader.co.uk/birds/poultry-for-sale/hampshire/ginger-game-for-sale/BT78464 I have never heard of this color, besides in gamefowl. So if it is this color, and has a game lock, then we are closer to finding out what you bought.

Good luck with your new birds!

Edit:
    It seems that they are a production breed. I just saw them on an Australian site. So maybe it is one of those weird Sex-Link names we don't know of, because it isn't common in our area.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Dont know..but it sounds yummy.. [​IMG]

5. Sedge

Sedge New Egg

Jan 4, 2013
    Albury, NSW, Australia
    I know this thread is really old but I'm trying to find out about gingerhams too as I'm buying some of these chicks. Breeder told me they are a crossbreed similar to Isa Browns which are commercial layers, friendly and quiet. Maybe only in Australia? Don't know, but at least I've found some too so they must be real.

6. EarthMoonTide

EarthMoonTide New Egg

Apr 26, 2013
    Victoria, Australia
    Mr Fox took a couple of my hens last night, when the door to the chook tractor blew came open in the storm. I'm heading out to Wagners, in Coldstream, Victoria, to pick up a Gingerham and an Australorp X New Hamshire. The woman I spoke with said she calls the Gingerhams "Isa Browns" but because they're not exactly Isa Browns, they can't legally sell them under that name. So, they're sold as Gingerhams. Quiet birds, laying a brownish egg (like an Isa Brown), and from a previous visit, they certainly look like Isa Browns.

7. kat79

kat79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2013
    I picked up some gingerhams in August. They are also good intergration birds. I have just integrated 6 gingerhams with my 30+ week four RSL and had no problems. Here's what 2 of mine look like . They are 8 weeks turning 9 weeks on Wednesday. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by