1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is Grit really nessesary?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hegatha, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Hegatha

Hegatha Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Washington
    What does grit really help with and what age do you usually feed it?
    Thanks

2. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    Grit helps them cut up their food since they don't have teeth, I give them grit when I give them anything other then the chick starter. They pick up grit while free ranging so if they are outside on the ground pecking and eating they pick up the grit. Some people use coarse sand in their runs they can get grit from that. You can also pick up a bag at your local farm store.

3. Hegatha

Mar 13, 2011
    Washington
    Okay so just offer is daily then. What age do start feeding it?

4. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    Start offering it when they start eating foods other than Starter/Grower feed. Don't be surprised if they devour it initially..they'll learn how much they take and take accordingly.

5. Hegatha

Mar 13, 2011
    Washington
    Some of the chicks are only about two weeks old is that to young to feed it? They are always out eating things off the ground.

6. mommto3kiddos

mommto3kiddos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    I never fed mine grit.. What I did was take a clump of grass/dirt from the yard and put it in the brooder. They got "grit" out of the dirt/rock pieces and had a BLAST pecking at the grass!!

7. KlaHaYa Gardens

KlaHaYa Gardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Yes, grit is necessary!!

They either get it from their environment, or you need to "offer" it in a separate container. Some people "pepper" the food with grit. do what works for you, but they must have it one way or another.

8. Hegatha

Mar 13, 2011
    Washington
    Thanks for all the advise Im gonna offer it with there treat (chicken scratch) Every morning.

9. Anianna

Anianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    I have a question along these lines, too. I wanted to give my almost week-old chickies some buggy treats and called Southern States if they had "chick grit". The girl said yes and set it aside for my hubby to pick up, but he came home with poultry grit that says to start using at 8 weeks. Can I give my younger chicks this grit? Would it hurt them any?

10. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    I had a bag of play sand in the garage.

I filled two flat bottomed containers with sand and put it in the brooder with the chicks. They LOVE it.....they take dust baths in it, they eat it and they sleep in it! I have never had to have it for my chickens....grit.....because we live where our dirt is more sand than dirt. But the little chicks love it and they are just now two weeks old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by